Quick way to depower your power steering!

Shocks, springs, coil overs, ride height, bracing, cages, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

McKenney
VIP Member

Quick way to depower your power steering!

Post by McKenney »

A lot of us have done this, I drove mine this way for over 2 years. And when Thaison bought the car it was still like this. The upside to this is not losing the ease of steering. The de-powered power steering is much easier, effort-wise, than the manual rack. Not to mention the cost difference.

Some people hack the lines going to the rack and pinch them off. This ruins a good set of lines someone may actually need at some point.

I simply removed the lines and "cooler" assembly. All you have to do is screw the new fittings in.

I'll even go a step further, go to your local O'Reilly auto parts store, and purchase 2 fittings. One is Edelmann pn: 120600, the other is pn: 209600. They are not the same size!!!! One is a standard pipe thread, the other is standard thread... And at a whopping $2.00 each, this is easily worth the money.

here's a pic of the installed fittings.
Untitled by McKenneyLevin, on Flickr

joel26
VIP Member

Re: Quick way to depower your power steering!

Post by joel26 »

good to know.....

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

doing it this way leaves the rear lines, which are used to equalize pressure when system working normally. Once you remove the hydraulic assist from the equation, they're not needed. But this is meant entirely as a quick, easy option. Ideally the best way is still to do it like assassin1000 shows in his how-to thread. But for those of us without the welding capabilites, or acces to the tools needed... this will definitely suffice and frees up the room taken by the lines as well.

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

well it better than what i did a long time ago and use jb weld to close plug the holes lmao...

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Make sure to keep the rack filled with fluid though. I did something similar in the past but chopped the lines and looped them back onto each. Decent setup, but it was a lot better switching over to an actual manual rack. As far as power gains go, it feels about the same as turning off the a/c on the car.
There are no spare parts, only unfinished projects.

1985 ae86 hatch 7age (coming soon to a parking lot near you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050