Brake lines will not fill with fluid

Shocks, springs, coil overs, ride height, bracing, cages, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

BlackStar
Tourist

Brake lines will not fill with fluid

Post by BlackStar »

I'm having all sorts of fun today :(

Along wiht my front brake upgrade, I also got a set of good ridge brake lines and a set of speed bleeders for the front and rear brakes. In doing so, I let out all the old brake fluid. After installing the new brake hoses and speed bleeder, and went to fill up the resivoir. Of course, it only filled up a bit, since their is so much air in the system.

I go to the back left brae, open the speed bleeder, and then proceed to press the brake. However, no fuid left the resivoir. Confused, i completely take out the speed bleeder, and press the brake. Nothing. I switch to a different brake, and the same problem.

What am I doing wrong?

speed bleeders, for those that may not know:

http://www.speedbleeder.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Brake lines will not fill with fluid

Post by dr.occa »

Try it the other way: hook up a vacuum line to the speed bleeder and try to PULL the fluid through.

Zissou
Tourist

Post by Zissou »

It's going to take more than one fill of the fluid resivor to fill the system, especially with new lines. I bet you can put half a container of new fluid in the system for you can even start properly bleeding. You may only have one bleeder open, but fluid will still be filling all the lines, and making it to the furthest caliper will take a while.

Also, speedbleeders are junk.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Zissou wrote:It's going to take more than one fill of the fluid resivor to fill the system, especially with new lines. I bet you can put half a container of new fluid in the system for you can even start properly bleeding. You may only have one bleeder open, but fluid will still be filling all the lines, and making it to the furthest caliper will take a while.

Also, speedbleeders are junk.

AGREED! I have never had a good experience with speed bleeders. Your best bet is to have someone there with you filling the reservoir, and you be at the rear with a vacuum bleeder hooked up trying to pull fluid down thru the system. Once you've done that, then pedal bleed the system. Throw those speed bleeders in the trash.