Are these actually Ae86 Megan springs?

Shocks, springs, coil overs, ride height, bracing, cages, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

BlackStar
Tourist

Are these actually Ae86 Megan springs?

Post by BlackStar »

I bought my car with a set of lowering springs on it (Megan racing). While doing some work today, I noticed that the rear springs look like they do not belong on my AE86. On the front, they look fine. The bottom of the spring is bigger then the perch on the rear axle. The spring itself doesn't narrow down in any way, it retains the same circumference for the whole body. Lastly, and in my opinion, the most important, with the car on jack stands(rear axle hanging down), i can easily push the spring off the bottom perch with my hand. Another note, it seems that instead of being completely vertical, they tilt forward. Could be that my rear axle is more forward of the bump stops, making the springs not line up. Pictures included.

For those that have megan racing springs, is that the same with you? I have some pictures, but I couldn't figure out how to show it. And this camera is pretty mediocre as well.

todo_school

Re: Are these actually Ae86 Megan springs?

Post by todo_school »

I know this is maybe a little late at this point but your springs are in upside down. With progressive springs like the megans the wide coils go at the bottom for comfort. Additionally if you pull them out and look at the two ends and then the perches one is stepped (bottom) and one is flat-ish (top). The springs will have the same stepped and flat sides. Whoever installed those springs originally didn't know what they were doing.

Zach90Turbo
Tourist

Re: Are these actually Ae86 Megan springs?

Post by Zach90Turbo »

todo_school wrote:I know this is maybe a little late at this point but your springs are in upside down. With progressive springs like the megans the wide coils go at the bottom for comfort. Additionally if you pull them out and look at the two ends and then the perches one is stepped (bottom) and one is flat-ish (top). The springs will have the same stepped and flat sides. Whoever installed those springs originally didn't know what they were doing.
You're correct about matching the shape of each end of the spring for fitment purposes, but the orientation of a progressive spring has zero effect on the ride quality or performance. No matter how you compress or orient a spring, the force exerted by it is exactly the same on both ends.