Front wheel bearings, brake lines and caliper questions

Shocks, springs, coil overs, ride height, bracing, cages, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

BlackStar
Tourist

Front wheel bearings, brake lines and caliper questions

Post by BlackStar »

I understand how to do them,(there is also a great write up on this site i think), but I am confused about getting replacment bearings. :oops: Apparently, there is an inner bearing, an outer bearing and a seal (judging form the diagram form the haynes book). To my dismay, it seems that I can't buy all three together as a set, I have to buy them one at a time. Is that true? I would like to buy form rock auto, but if autozone sells them as a set I'll go there. Whichever is cheaper frankly.

I also want to splurge a bit and get speed bleeders. I know where to purchase those; I would like to get new brake lines. Mine aren't broken, but they are in sorry shape( i am upgrading the front brake system, might as well not cheap out). Worth it price wise to go stainless steel? And any place to buy SS brakes lines, so I can judge for myself?

Now that I think about it, I might as well rebuild the front calipers. Iknow its easy to buy a kit, and just follow the instructions. What i remmeber from shop class is that compressed air is used to blow out the piston. I don't have an air compressor, is their another way to extract the piston form the caliper? I'll probably just take it to a shop to have it done, but its nice to stay at how when your all grimy lol

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Front wheel bearings, brake lines and caliper questions

Post by dr.occa »

Rock Auto would still most likely be your most affordable path. Also, pull the part numbers from Rock Auto and search ebay for them. You usually can save a few more bucks because a vendor will sell them with Free Shipping.

Goodridge SS lines are tried and true from everyone that runs them around me.

Invest in a box of the blue, non powdered, non-latex gloves. You're less grimy that way ;).

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

that or get the Federal Mogul ones from O'Reilly Auto Parts. make sure you use red hi-temp wheel bearing grease and pack the hell out of them. torque the nut to about 28-30 lb/ft. I just got some new dustcaps from from Cabe Toyota off their ebay site(another good investment). Braided lines are definitely the way to go as far as hoses. You can also get the calipers from O'Reilly already rebuilt for relatively cheap. I ran the very same for 2 years of hard abuse before stepping up to my big brake setup.

Jay_ATX
Tourist

Post by Jay_ATX »

Don't want to clutter the forum so ill post here:
So I'm cruising down the highway and all of the sudden my brake pedal feels stupid soft. Upon getting home and taking of the wheel I find my rear passenger side caliper twisted off and my pads completely destroyed with my brake piston out of its housing and wedged in my caliper. Seems like the top slider stopping sliding. Any tips on greasing this sucker up? Also, if I decide to buy the complete rebuilt caliper from oreilly, do I have to ask for a specific make and model or can I just tell me it's an 85' gts hatch?

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

1985 RWD Corolla with disc brakes

front driver's side #19-802
front passenger #19-803
rear driver #19-1011
rear passenger #19-1010

these are the A1 Cardone part numbers thru O'Reilly... hope this helps

Jay_ATX
Tourist

Post by Jay_ATX »

Thank you good sir. Had to special order them but should be here tomorrow.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

kewl kewl, no worries