S chassis front lower control arms on AE86

Shocks, springs, coil overs, ride height, bracing, cages, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Latino Hibino
Tourist

S chassis front lower control arms on AE86

Post by Latino Hibino »

I know of people using the S chassis (S13, S14, S15) lower control arms to use the S chassis coilover options, but what I want to know is if I can use the knuckle from the AE86 onto the S chassis LCA. I'm not worried about about the tension rod holes lining up, because I can always shut those, and drill new ones. Yes, yes, I can buy the T3 ones for $375, but I'm not exactly rich, nor do I have the resources to do the weld on kit for $175. lol. Thanks in advance.

supersideways
Tourist

Re: S chassis front lower control arms on AE86

Post by supersideways »

so you can use s13 lca's and s13 front coils on an 86? just weld the fronts coils on? and using s13 lca will it give you more camber?
1987 sr5
1993 silvia

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

If the S13-15 ball joint pinion slips into the AE86 steering knuckle and the S chassis' spindle mounting holes line up with the AE86 steering knuckle's it "might".

There's a possibility this combination (if it works) may kink the outer tie rods forward or backward.

luisae86

Post by luisae86 »

u need s13 knuckles , hubs . lcas, s13 or s14 outer tie rods, rotors , calipers and a set of s13 coilovers also u gonna need all hardware to bolt everything up , also t3 camber plate for ae86 if not redrill the strut tower slightly to fir the s13 coil overs , u also have to drill out one hole on the lcas for the tension rods and ur set im in the process of collecting parts and will begin the swap over soon , this is the proper way to do this . i dont know about any frankestein ae knuckle mating with s13 stuff

luisae86

Post by luisae86 »

gives more front track, more camber, and more steering angle

Latino Hibino
Tourist

Post by Latino Hibino »

dr.occa wrote:If the S13-15 ball joint pinion slips into the AE86 steering knuckle and the S chassis' spindle mounting holes line up with the AE86 steering knuckle's it "might".

There's a possibility this combination (if it works) may kink the outer tie rods forward or backward.
I'm not trying to use the S chassis spindle. I just want to know if the 86 knuckle will work on the S chassis ball joint. If the 86 knuckle work on it, then I can just use the 86's RCA, spindle and strut and have a wider track without having to buy some expensive lower control arms to adjust my track. You can get adjustable S chassis FLCAs for about 200 bucks. Yes, you have to redrill the mounting holes for the tension rods, but it would be worth it if I can just bolt on the knuckle and go from there.

Latino Hibino
Tourist

Post by Latino Hibino »

luisae86 wrote:u need s13 knuckles , hubs . lcas, s13 or s14 outer tie rods, rotors , calipers and a set of s13 coilovers also u gonna need all hardware to bolt everything up , also t3 camber plate for ae86 if not redrill the strut tower slightly to fir the s13 coil overs , u also have to drill out one hole on the lcas for the tension rods and ur set im in the process of collecting parts and will begin the swap over soon , this is the proper way to do this . i dont know about any frankestein ae knuckle mating with s13 stuff
I'm gonna have to see if someone has an S chassis FLCA and take a knuckle over to his house. lol.

luisae86

Post by luisae86 »

Yea never hurts to try it be something knew but if I remember correctly someone tried doin this before and they tried using Ae ball joint in. Place s13 one cuz the s13 one didn't work with the knuckle but as I said no harm in tryin

Latino Hibino
Tourist

Post by Latino Hibino »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

If I might add; it's not about trying something new because it's new but because it may be better. If it happens to be a new way of skinning that proverbial cat then it's an added bonus.

Latino Hibino
Tourist

Post by Latino Hibino »

Well, let's see if I can make it work. I will just need to borrow someone's S14 FLCA and see if the ball joint bolt goes through the AE86 knuckle. If it doesn't, then drill the knuckle mounting hole until it goes through. lol.

luisae86

Post by luisae86 »

Sounds good here's some food for thought as to why Pple are doin s13 front end conversion

- sealed front bearings
- automatic big brake upgrade and can go with even bigger upgrade if wanted for needed
- readily available and a bit cheaper front coilovers
- wider front track
- and crazy steering angle from lock too lock

Latino Hibino
Tourist

Post by Latino Hibino »

Yeah, I got a friend with S13 front stuff on his 1UZ powered Corolla, and he has enough a ton of angle. lol. Then again, I have a bunch of friends with manual racks with tons of lock as well. I just want a wider front track without me having to throw away some coilovers I worked hard on making to run S13 coils. Well see I guess.

luisae86

Post by luisae86 »

Then just get the t3 adjustable lca weld on kit and ur done u can push the lca out further with it the other just bolt up option is to buy the t3 adjustable LCas