S-chassis coilover swap opinions.

Shocks, springs, coil overs, ride height, bracing, cages, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

hotdoghogie

S-chassis coilover swap opinions.

Post by hotdoghogie »

Have the resources lying around minus coilovers. Been debating on doing the swap but scared it might ruin the geometry of the chassis. I'm scared it might handle like azz.

Opinions?

Experience?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: S-chassis coilover swap opinions.

Post by dr.occa »

From everyone that has swapped over the FULL suspension to the 86, the performance has been gratifying BUT it's the work that was the point of contention.

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

Yeah I don't have any intentions on losing my live rear end. IRS will never be as awesome as a straight axle.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

hotdoghogie wrote:Yeah I don't have any intentions on losing my live rear end. IRS will never be as awesome as a straight axle.
What makes you say that?

Manifesto

Post by Manifesto »

hotdoghogie wrote:IRS will never be as awesome as a straight axle.

wizzurp
Tourist

Post by wizzurp »

Hahahaha

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

Lol take that shit to heart.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

IRS has a lot more benefits than a live axle in my opinion. you could make a corolla slide a lot better if you had IRS. add some negative camber and oh look! Less tire to the ground=less traction. There's a guy with an s13 that goes through quite a few tires, but has a stock KA.... and throws it doowwnnnn because of that.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

Lets say under some weird circumstance I decided to put an IRS in my poor little rolla, it would most likely not be a 240 subframe.

Also not saying an SRA is better then a IRS when it comes to numbers, they are just fun as hell to drive. Look @ Aaren Smith's drift stang, car drifts great for what it is. I could give a 2 shits about being the fastest little ricer, I'm out to just have fun. Honestly, be completely straight forward with yourself, if you really wanted to be the best you wouldn't be doing it in your Corolla.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

If you want to whittle it down like that then a Corolla chassis is just skin and is just as much of a candidate for being the best in. The motor, trans and suspension combination is a buffet. Now you just need THE DRIVER and the financial and emotional investment.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

dr.occa wrote:If you want to whittle it down like that then a Corolla chassis is just skin and is just as much of a candidate for being the best in. The motor, trans and suspension combination is a buffet. Now you just need THE DRIVER and the financial and emotional investment.

Dr. Occa is such a wise Dr. haha I think I got the emotional and financial investment so far... but the driver still sucks hahaha. Need more seat time!!!
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

Manifesto

Post by Manifesto »

at that level, there are many cooler "skins" than an 86 corolla

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Manifesto wrote:at that level, there are many cooler "skins" than an 86 corolla
Um, not for me at this juncture in my life. Which would explain why I'm on this board. ;)

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

I'm with the doc, I have had 46 different cars in my life and I like the feel of my 86 over all of them. I disagree, however, with 86boy's comment about IRS being better due to negative camber making it easier to drift. Where as his comment is true, that's a newbie solution to lack of power. You have more control with a SRA and better maneuverability with a solid contact patch. In a road racing situation, IRS has its benefits on cornering due to the outside tire having a solid contact patch with less sidewall deflection. Both of these suspensions have both pros and cons depending on what oyu're trying to accomplish. Toyota even had an IRS setup for the AE86 using a cradle that bolted into the 86 chassis and received the RA65 Celica GTS IRS unit. Obviously this didn't mesh well with the rest of the chassis setup or it'd be more dominant of a swap.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

McKenney wrote:I'm with the doc, I have had 46 different cars in my life and I like the feel of my 86 over all of them. I disagree, however, with 86boy's comment about IRS being better due to negative camber making it easier to drift. Where as his comment is true, that's a newbie solution to lack of power. You have more control with a SRA and better maneuverability with a solid contact patch. In a road racing situation, IRS has its benefits on cornering due to the outside tire having a solid contact patch with less sidewall deflection. Both of these suspensions have both pros and cons depending on what oyu're trying to accomplish. Toyota even had an IRS setup for the AE86 using a cradle that bolted into the 86 chassis and received the RA65 Celica GTS IRS unit. Obviously this didn't mesh well with the rest of the chassis setup or it'd be more dominant of a swap.

lol you can't really expect lots coming from some poor ass grassroots drifters man. I have a solid rear axle and keeping it solid.... since i have that Weir spool and axles.... thanks btw :) haha Really depends on what you are going to do with the car on the suspension stuff.

I also have to agree with McKnowitall and Dr. Occa on the 86 chassis. Def. don't see these running all over like you with Subaru's for example. lol Cobalt's as another you see everywhere especially where I live... they are the new neon SRT4s lol. Plus I love how I can have 150 WHP and keep up with 250-350 hp cars while sliding.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/