S-chassis coilover swap opinions.

Shocks, springs, coil overs, ride height, bracing, cages, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: S-chassis coilover swap opinions.

Post by dr.occa »

86boy wrote:... Plus I love how I can have 150 WHP and keep up with 250-350 hp cars while sliding.
RIGHTEOUS TO MAX!

86boy

Post by 86boy »

dr.occa wrote:
86boy wrote:... Plus I love how I can have 150 WHP and keep up with 250-350 hp cars while sliding.
RIGHTEOUS TO MAX!

yes lol it is quite righteous! I have learn how to follow better.... aka SLOW down need to work on more e-brake/brake techniques. Also I need to quit being a wuss and get right up on their ass, but I don't want to hear them complain if I bump them lol! I think with my last changes and the little extra power through mid/top range I can do this a little better. damn thing fell on it's face last event. I hit a corner the other night and it powered itself back through after ripping the ebrake in 2nd. I need a cage to continue on with tandem though.

To the OP get a set of ae86 specific coilovers. BC Racing BR-type is what I have.... and they do everything I need them to!
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

"love taps" come with the territory.
86boy wrote:... BC Racing BR-type is what I have.... and they do everything I need them to!
+1

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

I have a BC setup as is. Thanks for the advice though ;)

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Dr. - haha yes love taps do. I got a decent love tap earlier this year.... haha I laughed about it and cried a little on the inside.

Oh you Hotdog you!!! haha! I honestly don't see the advantages you gain vs the amount of work going into stuffing s-chassis suspension under an ae86. I know a guy up in the north east corner that swapped front/rear suspension sr20det and all that where it's a 240 only the shell of an ae86. LOTS of work went into that car... more than what I think is worth the gains but that's my $0.02. I could see the rear being beneficial with the IRS and having a 1 piece coilover vs the shock and spring style in the rear. I'm still not fully sure why BC Racing didn't do something like that in the rear of the 86. Not enough room? idk I'm not a fan of the shock/spring being separate, but it works and that's all I need currently. It would be 100 times easier/faster if it was like the front. Preload is quite a trick to set with the rear.... I know mine still isn't quite set right.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Here's what I did:

1. Set the rear shock body height (with the help of a couple of floor jacks) where you'd like the car to sit. Don't tighten anything down though.
2. Then set the spring perches to where they first make contact with the springs.
3. Remove the floor jacks from under the chassis and just bounce the rear of the car to re-introduce some load onto the rear suspension and rear end.
4. Check the car height is where you wanted it
5. If the height is still where you want it, support the rear end on a pair of jack stand, remove the wheels and check the preload on the springs. you should be able to somewhat turn the springs. If they're very easy to spin around then you need to introduce some more preload on them. If they're really difficult or immovable you're got too much preload. The springs should be snug to where you should be able to spin them a little by hand with some effort.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

ahhhhh.... that makes sense. only problem is...when I adjust the shocks (to be longer remove some preload) it raises the car... lol
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/