Lower Control Arm Question...

Shocks, springs, coil overs, ride height, bracing, cages, etc...

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

mandm177

Lower Control Arm Question...

Post by mandm177 »

So i installed a set of refinished lower control arms (LCA), and it was brought to my attention that the LCA's are side dependent. Can anyone explain WHY they are side dependent? from the look of things, it looks like they are symmetrical. I do see that on the old ones, they are stamped L and R.

Also, what would happen if they were switched, and how would you identify which goes on either side if you repainted the LCA's and dont see the stamp anymore...

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Lower Control Arm Question...

Post by dr.occa »

I believe there will be a slight difference in angle of the left lca from the right. For instance, if you had a left lca on both the left and right, the right side may have either more forward or rearward caster and possibly off set toe from the left side. This could make it very difficult if not impossible to properly align the front steering geometry. Also, the mounting holes for the front sway may be off as well. IIRC, I accidentally used the wrong lca on my car when I was in a hurry several years back and things weren't lining up properly.

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

BAH! i really was hoping youd say "no problems at all"

but yes, we were having trouble aligning the car...guess i'll have to take all that stuff off again and redo it.

Thanks Jonas

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Yeah, I sympathize with ya. I was like "Fuhhhhhhhhhh...I screwed up! Ok, time to rewind. Crap."