Tip: OEM Distributor w/Heatshield for an AE86...

Technical How-To guides contributed by various technically proficient members from our community and voted popular by our members of the community at large.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

assassin10000
Tourist

Tip: OEM Distributor w/Heatshield for an AE86...

Post by assassin10000 »

Tired of melting your distributor cap? Want a heatshield for your AE86 distributor? Don't want to buy a crappy one from Aerodyne? Want OEM quality?

There is a solution, get a distributor from an 85-87 MR-2. (The 88-89 MR-2 may also work, but I have NOT personally confirmed it. BTW - did the first 4 sentences sound too much like an infomercial, or is it just me? ;) )

They come with a 4AGE bluetop just like the AE86, but it has a slightly different distributor. The MR-2 distributor housing, and distributor cap are different. The housing has mounts for a factory equipped heatshield, and the cap angles upwards for more clearance in the MR-2 mid-engine bay. The internals, and rotor are identical. All you have to do is exchange them, you can even use your AE86 sparkplug wires by looping/routing them a little differently.

Andrew

p.s. Yes, I know. This is pretty common knowledge, especially for those of us that have been around a while. But I figured it would be good to give information/confirmation to those looking for relatively cheap OEM options/upgrades. Who haven't heard of this, or seen it for themselves.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Re: Tip: OEM Distributor w/Heatshield for an AE86...

Post by daveskatesallday »

man this sucks i just trashed the mr2 distributor b/c i needed to cut a connector from it @_@

i didn't even know you could use it's distributor but i was curious about it i took the heat shield from the mr2 one i just wanna figure how to mount it to the ae86 one
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

assassin10000
Tourist

Post by assassin10000 »

Well, if you still have the housing you can swap the electronics from your AE86 one into the MR2 housing.

Andrew

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

And for those needing a replacement one, O'Reilly Auto parts offers the rebuilt one for an MR2 but not a Corolla. That's how I figured out it'd work. The rotor and wires are the same though.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

I have one of those handy MR2 distributors already since the engine that's in my car came from an MR2. I just left the distributor, but it didn't have one of those handy little heat shields.... might have to look for one. :tu:
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯