DIY: Remove USDM Bumper to Install JDM Bumper

Technical How-To guides contributed by various technically proficient members from our community and voted popular by our members of the community at large.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

mandm177

DIY: Remove USDM Bumper to Install JDM Bumper

Post by mandm177 »

Recently got a killer deal on a kouki rear bumper that i couldnt pass up. Took some pics for reference so that others can do this as well.

Items needed:
JDM Rear Bumper w/JDM Brackets
Bolts to install JDM Brackets on to car.

Tools:
19 mm socket
10 mm socket
Phillips Screwdriver
Flathead Screwdriver

Step 1:
Use flathead to pop up 4 rubber grommets (circled in red). Under all 4 will be a 19 mm bolt that you must take out. After all 4 bolts are out, pull middle section of bumper straight back to remove from car

Step 2:
Remove 10 mm bolt from inside of trunk that is attached to side panel. there will be 1 bolt for each side.

Step 3:
Remove bolts that connect side panel to car that are underneath car. might be a mixture of phillips screws and 10 mm bolts. Should be about 3 per side.

Step 4:
Remove bolts that attach mudflap to car. Should be mixture of phillips and 10 mm bolts for a total of 3 per side. 2 on the side of the wheel well, and 1 on top.

Step 5:
Detach Side Panel and behold your accomplishment!

Installing JDM Rear Bumper should be the opposite of the above, EXCEPT for:
1. USDM Mudguards will not be used
2. Not all bolts in Step 3 above will be used.
3. New 17 / 19 mm bolts must be purchased to bolt brackets to car. USDM bolts WILL NOT WORK. Also, all 4 holes "might" not line up. They didnt in mine, but ive read others have had no problem. Solution, i used the holes closest to the back of the car.

Before and After pics:

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: DIY: Remove USDM Bumper to Install JDM Bumper

Post by dr.occa »

good job mark.

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

? can you remove the steel frame from the usdm bumper and then place just the skin back i.e. the jdm one?
[img]http://i9.tinypic.com/832gfm9.jpg[/img]
"Now their greatest enemy is chlamydia, a disease also found in humans. This disease is transmitted by sexual contact, and it has killed over three thousand koalas in the last year."

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

i need your old bumper!
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

landslideATX wrote:? can you remove the steel frame from the usdm bumper and then place just the skin back i.e. the jdm one?
there are a couple of problems with doing that.

1. the usdm brackets are connected to the beam, so you'll have to have someway of mounting it.
2. the usdm bumper is 3 pieces, so you might have to cut up the usdm bumper to shorten it (if you want it to be short just like the jdm bumper).
3. the jdm one piece just looks so much better! :D

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

i was looking to keep the usdm look but have less weight like the jdm bumper. fab up some brackets and so forth.
[img]http://i9.tinypic.com/832gfm9.jpg[/img]
"Now their greatest enemy is chlamydia, a disease also found in humans. This disease is transmitted by sexual contact, and it has killed over three thousand koalas in the last year."

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

landslideATX wrote:i was looking to keep the usdm look but have less weight like the jdm bumper. fab up some brackets and so forth.
Ah, well, if youre willing to fab up some brackets, then it should work.

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Great write up. I like to the JDM bumper look
I like cars, food, and puppies.