CARBURETION for your 4AG

Technical How-To guides contributed by various technically proficient members from our community and voted popular by our members of the community at large.

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: CARBURETION for your 4AG

Post by dr.occa »

I prefer the Carter P4070 because they ARE VERY RELIABLE but they are a little audible.

Get a fuel pump for a 98-99 Yamaha R1 (YZFR1 / YZF-R1)

demby123
Tourist

Post by demby123 »

The OEM one's are way out of my price range, I bought a used one first, it started leaking so I got an ebay pump. It was DOA but me and some friends did some soldiering and tinkering and got it to work. Saturday it completely died. Can you really not use a bypass style regulator with the carter, I'm hearing otherwise on other forums? Would lowering the pump voltage work for lowering the pressure? These carbs need 1-1.5 psi of fuel pressure.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

You can run the P4070 in a bypass style setup if you want. Make sure you run a return style regulator though and have everything properly ordered in the line. The regulator needs to be a bypass type that also goes low enough for DCOE/Solex carbs which is no higher than 3.5psi and no lower than 2.5psi and bike carbs are even lower as you've noted.

Malpassi is probably your best bet for a low pressure regulator for bypass setups.

demby123
Tourist

Post by demby123 »

Got a carter 4070 and a holly 1-4 psi regulator. It was kindof a space nightmare but it's working fine now.

By the way what were the specs on your engine when you ran this ignition map? I've got an autocross event this sunday and i've recently been winding it up to redline just to see what the power up there feels like. It pushes really well from 3500-5500 rpm but starts to fall flat after that. Fuel ratios around those engine speeds under about 75% throttle are in the mid to low 12 range, so it should be making a bit more power. What do you think the maximum advance for a stock bigport 16v could be? I'm thinking of pushing it up to 38-40 degrees from 6-7k but I'm not sure if that's safe on 87 octane but i don't think 89 will be of any benefit with stock compression ratio.