cutting costs of everything thread

Anything not related to the AE86 and cars in general (but let's keep it respectful and courteous everyone).

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

86boy

cutting costs of everything thread

Post by 86boy »

I wanted to see what other people do to "save a buck" throughout their everyday lives. As I have quickly learned here in Texas... "Everything is bigger in Texas" and so is the cost of everything. I will be moving into a home which is well bigger than what I need, but with the limited selections of places (at least here) in north Dallas currently didn't have a choice. I was looking for something with at least a 1 car garage, and possibly a 2 car if possible. I found a 3 bedroom, 2 bath, and 2 car garage house which awesome except it costs 1100/month. the past couple of months I have been trying to find ways to cut alternative costs to be able to afford such adventure for this next chapter in my life.

I studied different routes to work. Currently I live 23 miles from work taking a tollway. So taking the advice of a couple people started taking an alternative route to avoid toll costs. Then went a little crazy with it. Initially it was taking me an hour to hour and a half to get back to the house I'm crashing at with about $5 in tolls total per day (25 per week). cut that down to about $1.50 per day (somedays depending on which way I go) on average. I also discovered my fuel bill was through the roof as most of the time I would spend 10-15 minutes sitting in traffic to make it through 1 or 2 stop lights. I went a little crazy and started studying the flow of traffic, and the most cost effective ways to get from point A to point B for work.

When I first couple months down here I was paying about $300 in fuel and $100 in tolls. Since my study of traffic and alternative routes with minimal lights, and the flow of traffic in certain areas. I have managed to cut my cost of fuel to $150 and $40 in tolls. I would completely avoid tolls, but my car doesn't have A/C so the wind traveling even 55-70 mph on the tollway is better than 40 mph within buildings. If I had AC still I would seriously have cut my tolls down to $0.35 per day, or I can learn to suck it up and have an extra water in my car. haha

Overall view if you didn't want to read the details. I cut my fuel bill from $300 to $150 and tolls from $100 to $40 so far. That's driving ~25 miles to work and then ~25 miles from work Monday through Friday 8-5. That's impressive I must say... I'm actually impressed with myself! haha! That's also in my GZE corolla getting about 30-35 mph. I have no calculated to check since I've moved down here.

what are your ways to reduce costs whether it be driving to and from work, car maintenance, house maintenance, or anything else to cut costs.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

mandm177

Re: cutting costs of everything thread

Post by mandm177 »

Curious to know where you're living, and where you're driving to...also, why you're renting (?) such a big house by your lonesome?

In any case, to further alleviate that cost, change your dang work schedule (if possible). Driving at 6 AM to get to work at 7 AM means 0 minutes wasted in stop and go traffic. Also, temps in the morning before work are low enough that you can drive without AC, and driving home at 4 means that who cares if you sweat in the car? Like you said, just drink more water.

I daily drove my corolla back when gas was near $4/gallon living in Garland and working in Irving. I think it came out to 19-20 total miles, but about 30-40 minutes of actual driving time on 635.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I second what Mark suggests as far as leaving earlier in the day for work to avoid traffic. I leave early and drive 23 miles to work. I also shift at no higher than 2250rpm. I drive a '91 base model civic, 4 speed and make 40mpg with no a/c. I try not to exceed 60mph.

Also, only turn on lights in rooms you're currently in and turn off the ones in rooms you leave ;).

mr.kikoman
Tourist

Post by mr.kikoman »

alot of things come into factor like you have studied .i have changed my bulbs to the lowest watt possible in my house ,unplug things i m not using because it does pull voltage still .i only turned down the temp on my a/c in the house when we're home or bout to go to sleep .it cut my power almost 1/3 .got to make time to cook and bring lunch?...we learned as time went on and your doing great .i've got 3 kids now and yes they do love their electronics .but really sad to say i had to get rid of my rolla ,due to being laid off .And as far as driving to and from work i would have to agree with doc and mark . leaving a little ,i mean a bit earlier is better for you and the rolla .who doesnt love cruising in the rolla with not much cars on the road lolz.hope this helps

milchmann

Post by milchmann »

Extending on Mr. Kikoman's excellent and very effective suggestions, you can close or mostly close vents for the central AC in rooms that you do not really use (and keep the doors closed). Using energy efficient window or free standing units in rooms that you use a lot instead of relying entirely on the central system helps a lot too (Central AC Systems when run hard form ice in the lines making them less efficient ... this can turn into a big problem in July/August Texas heat).
Surge strips with on/off switches make "unplugging" stuff a lot easier fyi. The switch its self draws a tiny amount of power while it is off, but nowhere near what all of the crap you have plugged into it would.

SkabRock5

Post by SkabRock5 »

ramen noodles

mr.kikoman
Tourist

Post by mr.kikoman »

Lolz. Yup cup a noodles .

86boy

Post by 86boy »

mandm177 wrote:Curious to know where you're living, and where you're driving to...also, why you're renting (?) such a big house by your lonesome?

In any case, to further alleviate that cost, change your dang work schedule (if possible). Driving at 6 AM to get to work at 7 AM means 0 minutes wasted in stop and go traffic. Also, temps in the morning before work are low enough that you can drive without AC, and driving home at 4 means that who cares if you sweat in the car? Like you said, just drink more water.

I daily drove my corolla back when gas was near $4/gallon living in Garland and working in Irving. I think it came out to 19-20 total miles, but about 30-40 minutes of actual driving time on 635.
Well I will be moving into a house in Garland (closer to George Bush Turnpike than 635), and my work is in Coppell. Plus side is I can remote in from home once I get moved in which will be this week hopefully. I've also been sweet talking my manager to possibly let me work from home a majority of the time. Just come in when absolutely necessary version every other week. My work schedule is 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.

I am renting as I'm new to Texas, and not sure where I'll be in the next year or two. Mainly because I went from being a level 2/3 Desktop Technician back to the Service Desk down here. SOOOO I'm striving to move up fairly quickly. Big house is because I have 3 cars, and apartments are stingy with parking spaces. Some won't allow more than 2 cars, and some even charge to have 2 spaces for a single person renting the apartment. Which makes no sense... Yes I could have parted with a car, but wasn't really looking to do that as this time will hopefully only be temporary. Planning on getting a couple certs before the end of the year which will help out a lot. I would have a roommate, but I don't know a whole lot of people yet. Also not a big fan of random ass people moving in. Had way to many bad experiences with theft, and not having the "roommate respect" for others property.

Also this thread was for anyone to throw out their ways of saving money...not just geared towards me haha
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

Manifesto

Post by Manifesto »

here is some thread resurrection...

by all accounts, i have been able to live on about $1200 a month. i think houston has a choice selection to aide in keeping costs of living down.
1. i have a 3 bedroom house with a separate 2car garage. $850 a month
2. laundry room in the garage. diy@home savings baby.
3. i only eat twice a day, and my foods ridiculously modest. ex. 1lb veggies and a hamburger. ~$2 a meal
4. i dont go out often, but i dont mind hosting parties.
5. i work a lot. a lot, man,
6. i am single. maaaaad savings, bro.

so my electricity is about $150 a month. water and gas maybe another $50.
my gasoline is low because i live three miles from work, this is by design. ive moved three times in the last eight years.

all things considered, a person with a min wage job pulling 40hrs could live quite comfortably imo. comcast and netflix can go a long way...

SkabRock5

Post by SkabRock5 »

Man that leaves you with roughly 150 a month after bills paid. I been there bro.

Manifesto

Post by Manifesto »

thats why its taken me three years to STILL not have a running corolla...
life, im doing it wrong...

EvilCerealBoX
Tourist

Post by EvilCerealBoX »

LED bulbs.
myspace.com/MasterCylinderMusicX
and
TE72 + 2jzge build