I need some advice.

Anything not related to the AE86 and cars in general (but let's keep it respectful and courteous everyone).

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

mandm177

Re: I need some advice.

Post by mandm177 »

David_McBadass wrote:That is correct. And right now I have an application to Discount Tire Co. My brother works at NTB at the moment, and he says he hates it for some reason. Does working at a garage suck sometimes? Cause any other time he's working on someone's car he seems to love it.
Remember...a hobby is something that you enjoy doing. When people put that into practice and make it their profession, their lifestyle, and let it consume their life...it can become overbearing.

I've known people who liked to work on their cars at home, but when they worked at a shop, they got burnt out. I've known people who love to cook at home, go to culinary school, and become chefs...only to be burnt out.

Like Jonas said...it's all about motivation.

Manifesto

Post by Manifesto »

a lot of cool things have been said... you wanna find a job, here is my advide.

network your ass off. even if its a friend working at the food town down the street. having someone on the inside cuts out a lot of the BS.
dress nice, look nice, be friendly, have a good vibe. DONT BE GHETTO/HOOD/whatever its called in your locale. speak as eloquently as possible
dont just fill out applications. talk to the management and show them what youre about. dont take no for an answer.
yeah, still fill out apps, but be aggressive and do call backs and basically hound people in to giving you work.

try out a temp agency. its a quick fix for menial laborers
above all else, attitude is key. im not saying kiss asses of be some kind of sunshinefaggypops if thats not what you are. just be sincere, that usually sufficient.

David_McBadass
Tourist

Post by David_McBadass »

Okay, that makes sense. I really do appreciate all the help you guys are giving me. I'm pretty clueless about everything right now, and I just need help.

David_McBadass
Tourist

Post by David_McBadass »

Manifesto wrote:a lot of cool things have been said... you wanna find a job, here is my advide.

network your ass off. even if its a friend working at the food town down the street. having someone on the inside cuts out a lot of the BS.
dress nice, look nice, be friendly, have a good vibe. DONT BE GHETTO/HOOD/whatever its called in your locale. speak as eloquently as possible
dont just fill out applications. talk to the management and show them what youre about. dont take no for an answer.
yeah, still fill out apps, but be aggressive and do call backs and basically hound people in to giving you work.

try out a temp agency. its a quick fix for menial laborers
above all else, attitude is key. im not saying kiss asses of be some kind of sunshinefaggypops if thats not what you are. just be sincere, that usually sufficient.
I tend to most of those things already, just after I hound them and they say no, I give up. But I'm gonna stop doing that. Thanks

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

You just have to mean what you say and if you get the job after being so persistent, follow through and be the best employee. Don't let the person/company who took a chance on hiring you (hiring anyone is always a gamble - some gambles are just more promising than others) regret it.

Be real. If the real you is a lazy, lying, opportunistic, selfish shmuck who's only out to get a pay check for mediocre work AND you have to hide that to get the job, then you're going to screw your employer and yourself in the long run unless you fix your character. What they see is what they should get.

Good luck David.

David_McBadass
Tourist

Post by David_McBadass »

Thank you I appreciate it.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Be thankful you are in an area that you have a lot of opportunity in! You could come out here to Nebraska and most of the jobs suck because about 90% of the jobs start off at minimum wage ($7.25) for some horrible work, and asshole managers/supervisors/bosses. The job I'm currently at has gotten a lot better with the small town mentality, and the fear of the "higher powered" people. Politics are everywhere, but people around here use it as an advantage mainly because people don't have the knowledge of how shit really works. I've learned a lot of what the limitations, and standards are in the corporate world quite quickly.

During the summers I worked for a private contractors with houses. Laying carpet, drywall, framing, siding, roofing, etc etc etc. Work was intesive pay was meh, but it was money and the people were decent. There's a lot of awesome things being said in this thread. I feel as if this was on any other forum you would have been bombed like crazy. I've been trying to get out of here just because I'm ready for something bigger and better with more learning opportunities because I'm bored with Desktop Support in the computer world. It's really hard for me to get anything as I can't just "stop by" or call them as online applications generally don't have a number for the hiring people. Then I have to jump through all sorts of hoops and call transfers just to find out that person is gone for the day/week.

Def. have to be persistant and determined. You put your mind toward something you'll achieve it. I hate school and wanted to drop out my junior year of high school, but I have a bachelors degree in Information Management Systems because I put my mind to it! lol!! You'll get something just gotta keep trying. Even if you are sweeping floors, and taking out the trash at a shop. Do that but remind them you want to learn. Most shops want people that want to learn, and work on stuff anyways. I went through that at a little mechanics shop in the town I went to college in. I swept floors, cleaned cars, and took out the trash for 6 months before they let me touch anything mechanical. Even though I was working on my own in the shop at nights, and the owner knew it. I stuck with it, and then before I knew it I was doing a lot of suspension work. Then they hired another kid to clean the shop, and I was rebuilding engines. haha Just a little life story to share for some motivation.

It's good to see a kid that wants some responsibility, and to me that seems kind of rare from your generation. Most just want shit handed to them and not have to work towards it. Sorry if this got a little long, but I felt as if I could contribute to this thread. Best of luck, and listen to what the other guys have said as it's all true. Showing an employer you are determined and hardworking means a lot even if you don't have the knowledge. Showing you are willing to learn is another good aspect. Customer service is a HUGE thing... so if you have any anger problems you need to learn how to control you emotions and you can go a LOT further. I also found that out. lol
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

^ Good stuff Chris.

Sorry this is off topic and directed at Chris - have you tried getting any MS certifications? They actually do help. Exchange and Active Directory Management and design are great ones. All around useful certs and know-how to have under your belt and on your resume along with your hardware/desktop support experience. Good IT directors love techs with experience and certs.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

dr.occa wrote:^ Good stuff Chris.

Sorry this is off topic and directed at Chris - have you tried getting any MS certifications? They actually do help. Exchange and Active Directory Management and design are great ones. All around useful certs and know-how to have under your belt and on your resume along with your hardware/desktop support experience. Good IT directors love techs with experience and certs.

Yeah I have considered it. They get expensive with the quickness though! A+, Net+, etc and then the MS certs... and all of them to me are stupid. I have kinda looked into getting an A+ cert and moving up to another one. Just can't find any solid info on what the test is going to kinda cover. If its like the old skool test from like 6 years ago.... I'll pass on that. There were so many little intricate details that just sucked to memorize.... especially going back to windows 95... which I haven't been on for YEARS now...so that part scares me. I don't want to go spend 3-4 bills on a test to fail it. I want to know for sure I have the material and know it before going into something like that.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Yeah, I hear ya. I got my A+ like 14 years ago. LOL. That test was annoying.

Manifesto

Post by Manifesto »

if you cant find a job... there is always the option of creating one.

David_McBadass
Tourist

Post by David_McBadass »

What exactly do you mean by creating one?

GamblerZ

Post by GamblerZ »

Starting on your own (ie. lawn business, car wash business, Christmas light business, etc.)
'85 Toyota Corolla GT-S Hatchback DMG
'92 Lexus SC400 Diamond White Pearl (WTS/WTT)
'99 Lexus SC300 Millenium Silver Metallic (WTS)

David_McBadass
Tourist

Post by David_McBadass »

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

86boy

Post by 86boy »

There's always a place hiring. might not be up the scope of what you want, but anything is better than nothing just to get by with.
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/