improving pcv

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

kevlar corolla

improving pcv

Post by kevlar corolla »

Well I went to a track day today,didn't so well with the clutch saying by-by in less than 4 laps but in those laps I see I need to do something about the loss of oil in left hand turns.
My car turns harder than most for sure,in the 1st 2 laps(I came after 2 to check things before going back out)my catch can went from empty to 2/3's full.

Does anyone have a means to continue to vent the crankcase without emptying the engine oil ?.

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

omg same when i went to gss and drifted that shit spat oil allll over my motor from the breather filter and before i had it connected at ggp like it would make a huge ass cloud of smoke burning from my engine its crazy could it be from the body roll?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: improving pcv

Post by dr.occa »

kevlar corolla wrote:Well I went to a track day today,didn't so well with the clutch saying by-by in less than 4 laps but in those laps I see I need to do something about the loss of oil in left hand turns.
My car turns harder than most for sure,in the 1st 2 laps(I came after 2 to check things before going back out)my catch can went from empty to 2/3's full.

Does anyone have a means to continue to vent the crankcase without emptying the engine oil ?.
kevlar, have you tried installing another intake valve cover on the exhaust side (thereby giving you 2 pcv relief outlets & oil caps)?

nt66

Post by nt66 »

Nasser wrote:omg same when i went to gss and drifted that shit spat oil allll over my motor from the breather filter and before i had it connected at ggp like it would make a huge ass cloud of smoke burning from my engine its crazy could it be from the body roll?
yeah I think you have a diffrent problem than kevlar
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

nt66 wrote:
Nasser wrote:omg same when i went to gss and drifted that shit spat oil allll over my motor from the breather filter and before i had it connected at ggp like it would make a huge ass cloud of smoke burning from my engine its crazy could it be from the body roll?
yeah I think you have a diffrent problem than kevlar
i agree w/ will. from speaking w/ rick, it could be just a simple change of your valve covers gaskets and grommets.

kevlar: keep us posted on what you come up with.

kevlar corolla

Re: improving pcv

Post by kevlar corolla »

kevlar, have you tried installing another intake valve cover on the exhaust side (thereby giving you 2 pcv relief outlets & oil caps)?[/quote]

I've thought about that and kinda figured I simply dump oil out going in both directions then.

I'm wondering why the internal baffle is so ineffective,need to look into other designs maybe.

Ricky86

Post by Ricky86 »

Two words, catch can :).

Buy a universal Greddy/ebay/etc oil catch can & plumb it in, problem fixed.

I had that same problem many,many ages ago.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Ricky86 wrote:Two words, catch can :).

As already stated I can nearly fill the "catch can" in only 2 laps.The catch can doesn't "fix" anything other than keeping it from being dumped into the intake manifold.
My car will dump more oil than most due to being modded far beyond yours and therefore corner harder.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

what did you mod so much to make oil dump like crazy? I dont follow why cornering would make oil come out of the pcv there is a baffle inside the valve cover to keep oil from dumping out. It sounds to me like your pumping to much oil into the head and it cant drain out fast enough
www.willparsonsdrift.com

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

The engine is essentially stock internally so there's no crazy oil pump volumes or anything.I've had this same problem on 3 different engines along with hearing it happening to many many others.
Yep I know the baffle is there for that reason,it appears to me it really isn't that effective however.What I see as possibly going on is that what oil is in the head being pushed up the side of the rocker cover to the outlet when in a long/hard left turn.
I'm also sitting here thinking this thru,I did lower the engine with custom solid mounts and the front of the engine is dropped more than stock to keep oil in the sump during cornering.Perhaps your right in that there is more oil in my cam galley then normal,combine that with my cars ability to turn and......

nt66

Post by nt66 »

kevlar corolla wrote:The engine is essentially stock internally so there's no crazy oil pump volumes or anything.I've had this same problem on 3 different engines along with hearing it happening to many many others.
Yep I know the baffle is there for that reason,it appears to me it really isn't that effective however.What I see as possibly going on is that what oil is in the head being pushed up the side of the rocker cover to the outlet when in a long/hard left turn.
I'm also sitting here thinking this thru,I did lower the engine with custom solid mounts and the front of the engine is dropped more than stock to keep oil in the sump during cornering.Perhaps your right in that there is more oil in my cam galley then normal,combine that with my cars ability to turn and......
its a problem with 4ag's I dont know what gen block your using but if you look at a jdm redtop it has a HUGE oil drain back from the head directly into the side of the block/pan. they did this because they had trouble with too much oil getting trapped in the head.
www.willparsonsdrift.com

Ricky86

Post by Ricky86 »

kevlar corolla wrote:
Ricky86 wrote:Two words, catch can :).

As already stated I can nearly fill the "catch can" in only 2 laps.The catch can doesn't "fix" anything other than keeping it from being dumped into the intake manifold.
My car will dump more oil than most due to being modded far beyond yours and therefore corner harder.
My mistake, I didnt read your post fully :P .

Your running boost right?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

nt66 wrote:its a problem with 4ag's I dont know what gen block your using but if you look at a jdm redtop it has a HUGE oil drain back from the head directly into the side of the block/pan. they did this because they had trouble with too much oil getting trapped in the head.
good question will and a good observation. with the 1st gen 4AGE there is that issue which will pointed out. toyota addressses this problem w/ the successive gen. 4age plants. the first response was the oil drain to the rear of the block in the 7-rib hi-comp and then just improved designs in the later 20v units.

after thoughts - just re-read your setup thread in the media section. it appears you may be using the 1st gen head being that you described it as a large port head unit. may i suggest possibly re-working the head by removing all of the excess material left over from the cast in the oil drain back passages. going with a later model head would 1.) require you to also change out the block should you go w/ the hi-comp smallport head in order to take advantage of the drain back designed into it. 2.) a 20v head may require further alterations for ignition and definitely intake due to the efi ITB setup.

your thoughts.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Yep I used an early gen big port head as thats what I had,its been freshened up and would rather not start again.The 20v,been there done that and sold all the bits(actually the shortblock is the 20v block fitted with gze pistons) plus like you say the ignition would have to be done again and a new intake manifold would also need to be fabbed for the carbs.
I think I'll fab up dual outlets from the tops of the covers,I think that should work. :?:

drtool
Tourist

Post by drtool »

If your fix does not work I might have one. Google 1979 Alfa spyder pcv system. Look at the seperator.
87 FX16 (AE82) bought new now 350,000 and going strong.