SR5 Steering Column

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

milchmann

SR5 Steering Column

Post by milchmann »

I have been slowly collecting parts to replace my entire steering system from the wheel to the knuckles. The column that came with the car is covered in rust, so I picked up a GTS column so that I could take the casing, brackets etc to get powder coated, and still have a drive-able car in the meantime.
I have taken the dash out multiple times, and done tons of wiring work on the car ... but some how never noticed that the column that came with the car does not have tilt on it. The wheel has always been in a good position, so I guess I just did not think about it. The car has power steering though. As far as I understand only manual steering cars came without tilt on the column. Am I wrong about this? Are all of the dealer parts references mistaken? Or was this car converted to power steering at some point in its life?

SkabRock5

Re: SR5 Steering Column

Post by SkabRock5 »

My automatic 85 sr5 had powersteering and tilt originally.

milchmann

Re: SR5 Steering Column

Post by milchmann »

SkabRock5 wrote:My automatic 85 sr5 had powersteering and tilt originally.
To the best of my knowledge that is the way it was supposed to be.

I guess it would be good to give a little more information. The car is a standard 87, and it was almost completely stock. It had a replaced muffler, some sort of mazda wheels (I think 1st gen RX7), and a janky aftermarket alarm ... and that was it.