Clutch: to kick or not to kick...

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

BlackTruenoAE86
Tourist

Post by BlackTruenoAE86 »

I think you're misunderstanding Will, he is trying to tell you, youre better off starting with a stock setup to make you learn more... No one said that people that have welded diffs arent as good of a driver.

I had a welded in my S13.

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

i truthfully believe all that forcing you to learn is a buncha tsuchiya initial d mumbo jumbo. i think that it is based on the person a car is not going to teach you how to drive it all depends on the person i did very well for my first event and hope to get even allot better and by god some locking effect is certainly not going to stop me arguing on a forum over whether it will make you drive differently or make you not as good of a driver and not know these techniques is not going to do me any good when i get back im going to get a job and make it out to every event that i can and have fun out their thats all that matters to me now i am done arguing over weather a fully locked or partially locked diff will really make a difference it has been discussed 1 million times over the net so i am done here now if you would plz excuse me while i go listen to Arabic music and cry over not have being able to drive or see my car for 2 and a half months.

BlackTruenoAE86
Tourist

Post by BlackTruenoAE86 »

If choose to not respond to this its fine...

But think of it this way, take a welded diff as power

With power it makes it easier for you to drift, so if you start with power the chances of know how to drift a underpowered car just as well are very slim. The car does make a difference.

When you start driving, and start driving different cars you'll start noticing what we are talking about.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

a welded will ensure the car's rear end will get out from under itself and up the chances of maintaining the car in a sideways format. this doesn't mean it'll guaranty you'll be drifting only guarantee both rear wheels will be spinning at the same time and amount of revolutions in a straight and on corners.

personally, i've found everyone learns better one way over another. i'm not much for isolating how people should learn things just as long as they learn it right eventually. there is that old saying: "if you're going to make mistakes, learn from them."

so, live and learn everyone. everyone's strengths and weaknesses in automotive performance is shown on the track more than in writing. this is just to keep things in perspective: "proof's in the pudding" right?

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

From my past experience. I would recommend an open diff first, then welded if your on a budget. OR just get an lsd from the git-go.
[img]http://i37.tinypic.com/2m6keid.jpg[/img]

o.g.darkdrifter
Tourist

Post by o.g.darkdrifter »

There's a 2way in my corolla......... not quite like a welded......... at all. When it does lock up it's like a welded but.... thats what it's supposed to feel like.... it's locked. But it is far from being locked all the time, it doesnt just lock up on any amount of acceleration or deceleration (or sudden torque applied) you need to give it a certain amount of accel or decel at a certain speed to get it to lock hard. I like it a hell of alot more than when I had the stock lsd. I wore out the stock lsd in a matter of 2 weeks just dailying and drifting every now and then in between that time.

Entry on stock lsd is alot different though.... a hell of alot different than the 2way.
Noob since 2004

Overdrift

Post by Overdrift »

hvguy wrote:From my past experience. I would recommend an open diff first
Enough words of wisdom from you.

I can't say enough how open diffs are so much better, I've had the most fun with open diffs than welded or worn out lsd (unpredictable at times).

I have driven LSD, Welded, Open. Do you know which car is the hardest to drift normally?

I will not hide the fact that I don't know much about drifting, I pray that I know more than you... because with remarks such as "i clutch kick like their is no tomorrow at my first event i would initiate every drift with a clutch kick and peel out at the launch pad dumping the clutch and also clutch kicking during the drift." tells me you don't know dick about drifting. And then standing so proud behind the welded differential when you don't know shit about open differentials other than what some other drifters have told you they suck.

I recently realize myself doing dumb shit like you when I had will in the car, It had been at least 6 months since I last drifted a rwd... I found myself kick clutching. I noticed I was kick clutching because I could not remember how to engage into a drift in other forms, I need to get my hands back on a steering wheel asap.

(^^^ this was in a sr5 100% stock, 3 people)

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

Oh yeah, open ftw....... NOT.

Overdrift

Post by Overdrift »

thats what happens when you drift it like you stole it :twisted:

i drifted the shit out of that poor car, remember the night we drifted like midnight until sunrise? Yeah corolla diffs dont like that with truck engines.

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

Overdrift wrote:thats what happens when you drift it like you stole it :twisted:

i drifted the shit out of that poor car, remember the night we drifted like midnight until sunrise? Yeah corolla diffs dont like that with truck engines.
Than why is it mine hasn't had any problems.. ever.

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

first of all open diffs fail at life i had a worn to shit lsd which i actually did get to learn on and practice with having some sets of tires and got advice from well exp drivers and i made the decision i wanted a welded because of a low budget. and well alex you dont have to be so cocky about it just because i like welded diffs and enjoy clutch kicking that does not mean shit their is plenty of people that just like clutch kicking with a slight feint as the initiation the thing i do need to get fixed is my e brake which would help me allot. i didnt know that their was much to know about differentials Mr. diff.professor. i dont see what the big f-bombing deal is every1 is making just because i like welded diffs and clutch kicking. so what if ueo has different trd gears it does not change the fact that he does clutch kick like hell to and like ive said if seen lots of people do very well around a course on a welded. alex try not to be such an ass about things when discussing something saying dumb shit like you. alex i would love for you to actually make it out to more events i hope ggp will host more events when i get back. The honest to god truth is i am just having fun and thats all im for man. i tried to stop posting on this thread because this subject has been discussed a million times over the net and talking isn't going to do you any good. i am going to get allot better i know i will and i am going to prove whoever thinks welded diffs are retarded wrong just wait and see :twisted:

Overdrift

Post by Overdrift »

Nasser wrote:first of all open diffs fail at life .... i like welded diffs and enjoy clutch kicking that does not mean shit .......... alex try not to be such an ass about things when discussing something saying dumb shit like you. alex i would love for you to actually make it out to more events i hope ggp will host more events when i get back. The honest to god truth is i am just having fun and thats all im for man.
First of all, open diffs fail at life with you behind the wheel. To me somebody that likes welded diffs is following a 240 bandwagon. When I first became a 240 member I read allllll about how welded diffs are what you need. I almost got my diff welded too! I got on the ae86 site and I had a long conversation with a ae86 drifter that pretty much told me the longer I stay open diff the better I will become in the long run. He explained that to him the initiation was the most key element for a beginning to master, and with the open diff it makes initiations a lot more difficult to do, refining your skill.

I am a jerk and I will say some dumb shit to piss people off but hey don't we all? Give me a car and I will meet you at GGP, hopefully an actual track though, I need to get back behind the wheel of a car. I might get lucky and get something before you get back 8)

Having fun is one thing but encouraging other people welded when you don't know the whole truth is another.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

yeah the only reason I get in on these debates is because you (nasser) are always telling people to weld there diffs and cut there springs because its the best. You shouldent be handing out that kindof advice after one event. Alex at least has drifted in 3rd gear on a road course and he was tearin it up with a open diff. So having a welded is not going to make or break your drifting ability. I learned in all open diff cars and they are cars not normally drifted and I believe I owe my succses to learning this way. There are certain things I would have never learned about car control if I started with a welded. Im not saying that I could never have learned with a welded just it would have takin a lot longer. You did good at your first event Im not trying to discredit that but you also never went on the fast course so just try to remember you are still new to this before offering advice like your a sesoned pro.
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

just a friendly reminder fellow enthusiasts: it's always better to put on a face of humility than a face of conceit.

it helps you measure your words and delivery prior to release. :wink:

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

uhm actually we were talking about the beatings we give to our cars when people started jumping in saying shit because i enjoy clutch kicking and having a welded diff and they started a whole new chapter of it leading on to this. i do not have any intentions to point ANYONE in the wrong direction and i would appreciate it if people gave their comments rather nicely than indirectly pointing fingers saying thats stupid your dumb you dont know anything etc... hell if im doing something wrong let it be i will eventually find out down the road and correct myself i don't need any one to tell me what to be doing and what not to be doing. like i said before i am all for fun i do not want drifting to become a competitive sport i like getting out their on the track and talking to people and learning stuff 1 on 1 and hands on exp. i believe drifting should be a fun sport and not matter whether your diff is locked or have a 2,000 dollar suspensions system ive always told people welded diff is a cheap option as well as cutting springs as something TEMPORARY to eliminate the rear end bounce and the car will be more predictable that takes no pro or genius to know because i know from hands on exp that the rear end bounce will stop i also mention that it might blow your shox and do not disagree with someone saying that it will ever. i just want drifting to be a sport that can be enjoyed in a friendly way and have the houston 86 community a loose laid back friendly place for us all which is why i want to avoid getting into silly arguments on the net starting a whole new chapter of something small.