4AGZE with a CT20B

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

86boy

4AGZE with a CT20B

Post by 86boy »

OK so I've been doing some looking today regarding a ct20b turbo. I see people are putting down 250-300 who with this turbo on the 3SGTE. I've been trying to search and find if anyone has done this turbo on a 4AGZE and what type of power range I would have running this turbo in the 10 psi to 15 psi range. I can not seem to find a whole lot of info except "run a 16G or 20G MIT's turbo". I got a friend that needs some money and wants to sell me his CT20B for what I think is a good price. Very minimal shaft play and no in/out play. So with a little window of time to buy this...I'm looking for some help of the almighty knowledge others have picked up.

I'm not looking for stupid crazy power nor crazy peak power. What type of power band could one expect running this on a 1.6 L compared to the 2.0 L 3sgte. I've read different specs people were posting up regarding the ct20b and the spool times. Which of course they all vary. Does anyone have links or knowledge of the ct20b turbos with good info? There's gotta be a few people who have tried it before. Another thing I've read some of these turbos are ceramic...and it "Gary's" for which ones are ceramic and which ones were not. I do know it came from an alltrac vehicle...year at this moment in time is unknown. Any help I'd appreciate it!
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯

Zach90Turbo
Tourist

Re: 4AGZE with a CT20B

Post by Zach90Turbo »

CT20B's were all ceramic from the factory. They came on 3rd gen 3SGTE's. It will spool a hair faster than a 3S CT26 and make a little more power, but they're all bad news in the end. Nobody likes rebuilding them, and you've got a pretty high chance of the exhaust wheel just coming off. I was dynoing an MR2 and heard a weird pop and the car fell on its face. I inspected everything, thinking maybe an IC pipe had blown off. I fired the car back up, listened for noises and then did another pull. Made no boost. I then walked behind the car on the dyno again and noticed something on the ground. The exhaust wheel sheared off and came out the tailpipe in a few pieces.

If you're on such a tight budget, try a TD05 or something similarly small. A CT20b is absolutely nothing special by today's standards and the cost of adapters and flanges negate any cost savings by using your buddy's turbo that has a very finite life span. Then you'd be stuck looking for a CT20b stateside, which isn't fun. Heck, get the ebay cast iron manifold for 55 bucks and get a 2871 chinese knockoff and see how long it'll run.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

^he would be the guy to know the answers to your question!

86boy

Post by 86boy »

Awesome info! thank you sir! That would make sense why there isn't a lot of info online about them. Also glad he gathered the money he needed.... I really didn't want to get stuck with that and 550cc injectors for a supra. lol
      "Praise the Lowered"
|OOO _____________ OOO|
 \________|1964|_______/
    ¯¯                          ¯¯