Build questions...

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

RotaSpinna69

Build questions...

Post by RotaSpinna69 »

I will soon be acquiring an '86 hatchback shell and have some options on engine swaps. My main thoughts for this build are budget, reliability, and ease of finding parts. With those in mind, these engines are on my list....

7AGE hybrid
1UZFE
2JZGE
K24A1

I am leaning more towards the 7AGE hybrid because 16V large port heads are fairly easy to find and 7AGE engines are in junk yards everywhere I look. Therefor, ease of finding parts and budget come to mind. BUT, reliability is my main concern as I have sifted through many 7AGE build threads and found people arguing about the strength of the 7AFE bottom end when turbo or high rpm.

The 1UZFE comes next because it is also easy to source engines for and is reliable, but the swap kit and transmission parts are NOT budget friendly. It seems like the most performance oriented though being an all aluminum and down right sexy Toyota V8 :) Now if I decide to "build" it later on down the road, then things get really expensive because no one makes parts for these things in the US.

The 2JZGE only comes to mind because of it's reliability, ease of finding parts, and, while N/A, not that expensive. It is extremely heavy, but later on down the road when turbo, I can move some weight around to make it worth while.

Though I would like to keep it all in the family and run only Toyota parts, the K24A1 Honda engine is sounding better and better. All aluminum, rev it all day, easy to find these motors(2002+ CRV, ACCORD, etc.) and reliable. Much like the 1UZFE though, the drivetrain is the most expensive and time consuming part. I've seen Will Parsons progress with his F20C swap.

I would love to hear everyone's opinions, information, wisdom and excitement! haha

Thanks,

Andrew

burdickjp
Tourist

Re: Build questions...

Post by burdickjp »

What's wrong with a smallport 4A? 20v?

Sent from my Atrix HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JDM AE86

Post by JDM AE86 »

well if your wanting to boost it I would go with the 2JZ. You can find all the parts you need to boost it pretty easy and not super pricey or you could just buy a 2JZGTE. If you keep it N/A I would pick the 1UZ out of your list. Everone budget is different. Whats an ok price for me may be out of your budget and vise versa.
http://facebook.com/86levin

RotaSpinna69

Post by RotaSpinna69 »

burdickjp wrote:What's wrong with a smallport 4A? 20v?

Sent from my Atrix HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I'm looking to make more than 150rwhp later down the road haha

Small-port and 20V heads are getting more expensive. No one wants an early large-port head anymore, so they are cheap and easy to find :)

Also, my main concern is a solid transmission. I'd like to use a T5 transmission since they support 300hp stock, 400-500hp built, and G-Force makes a dog-ring kit which supports 700hp. Clutchless shifts are sexy. These are much like the transmissions used in Formula D at half the price. Doing some research, looks like G-Force makes an adapter plate for the 4AGE and QuickTime makes bellhousings for 2JZ and Honda V6.

Thanks,

Andrew

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

7AFE rods are weak... that's about the only downside to a 7AGE build.

20v are pointless... not worth the money and all the hassles. Way too much money to barely break 150hp.

1UZ, I'm biased on this one... and there is a lot of stupid little things needed that you don't realize until the final stretch.

(any) JZ motor would be nice. but make it clean, I've seen a couple nice swaps done, and a few that look like hammered @$$...

Honda motors belong only in Honda cars... end of subject.

... and why not a Beam's or 3SGTE? Venerable motors, like boost(the GTE anyway), still easy to find parts for, and numerous ones making over 500whp.

RotaSpinna69

Post by RotaSpinna69 »

McKenney wrote:7AFE rods are weak... that's about the only downside to a 7AGE build.

20v are pointless... not worth the money and all the hassles. Way too much money to barely break 150hp.

1UZ, I'm biased on this one... and there is a lot of stupid little things needed that you don't realize until the final stretch.

(any) JZ motor would be nice. but make it clean, I've seen a couple nice swaps done, and a few that look like hammered @$$...

Honda motors belong only in Honda cars... end of subject.

... and why not a Beam's or 3SGTE? Venerable motors, like boost(the GTE anyway), still easy to find parts for, and numerous ones making over 500whp.
I'm looking for swaps that are readily available which means part outs, junk yards, etc. Beams and 3SGTE are NOT on that list haha.

But the 7AFE, 1UZ, and 2J's are :) Also looks like the 7AFE will bolt up to any 4AGE bellhousing?

Thanks,

Andrew

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

these is one i would not mind doing one day and adding a turbo to it.... 7age

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

all A series blocks are interchangeable. same bellhousing pattern, head bolt pattern. you could do a 20v bottom end with a 4ac head... or vice versa.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

joel26 wrote:these is one i would not mind doing one day and adding a turbo to it.... 7age

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2248" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
loved everything about that coupe!!
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

Nomuken recently had it for sale. I think it's been sold as of now.

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

What do you plan to use the car for? You really should set a goal and work towards that. You mentioned a budget, how much are you looking to spend? 2jz isn't cheap. You really can't just stuff a 700hp 2jz into an ae86 and expect it to be great. the 2j is heavy and long, so not really a great swap. 1uz has been done and seems to be alright, idk much about it to really give an opinion.

IDK about using a ka engine though, why not the sr20 instead? It's fairly light, and theres a bolt in conversion kit for the ae86 to make it simple. I'm not sure how mechanical you are, but without the right tools, its difficult to do a custom swap.

Personally I'm building a 7agte since I had a 7a in great condition already. I aim to break into 300hp with it for drifting. People have managed to squeeze 500+hp out of a 4age (not that I would recommend it), but again, figure out what you plan to do with it, then figure out how to get there. For the streets, or as a hobby, a turbo 4 cyl is going to be a lot of fun even around 150-200 hp.
There are no spare parts, only unfinished projects.

1985 ae86 hatch 7age (coming soon to a parking lot near you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

RotaSpinna69

Post by RotaSpinna69 »

The car will be track only except for 86Day and Coffee and Cars. No PS, AC, and will be caged sooner than later.

I worked for a number of years at Toyota and now work for an independent Honda/Acura shop. SO, I've decided to go Honda K24 engine and S2000 transmission. Best of both worlds :) Really appreciate everyone's advice and opinions!

Thanks,

Andrew

JDM AE86

Post by JDM AE86 »

Well nice to know your set on your swap.......now to start a build thread.
http://facebook.com/86levin

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

http://willparsonsdrift.com/car/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

will's doing something similar with the f20c & s2000 trans
There are no spare parts, only unfinished projects.

1985 ae86 hatch 7age (coming soon to a parking lot near you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

RotaSpinna69

Post by RotaSpinna69 »

Will's car is nice. I've seen it plenty at events and follow as much as I can. My car will be N/A for some time though :/ But still has ALOT more potential than other N/A four cylinders haha.