sudden loss of power

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

drift

sudden loss of power

Post by drift »

i was driving to work today and noticed a small puff of smoke that came out of the exhaust with a slight backfire. then a few seconds later a lost in power. i was giving it gas but it kept slowing down. i was thinking a blown head gasket but my both my temp gauge was reading right. then as i was getting ready to pull over there was a small backfire again and i got my power back. dont know what that was but has anything like this happen to anyone or does anyone know what might of cause this(vacuum leak, fuel delivery, etc...).

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Re: sudden loss of power

Post by daveskatesallday »

i'd say do a compression test and a leakdown test just to rule the headgasket out to be on the safe side instead of guessing
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

drift

Post by drift »

gonna do that this weekend. funny thing is it drove fine on the way home with no issues at all.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

drift wrote:gonna do that this weekend. funny thing is it drove fine on the way home with no issues at all.
that's strange well i'd deff make sure to test it just to rule that out, maybe running a bit rich? was it black smoke or white?

drift

Post by drift »

it was white smoke. didnt drive her today but imma have to look more into it this weekend when i have time but if anyone have had a similair situation. please post up what you did or what you find out. hopefully itll help me in trouble shooting the issue.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

drift wrote:it was white smoke. didnt drive her today but imma have to look more into it this weekend when i have time but if anyone have had a similair situation. please post up what you did or what you find out. hopefully itll help me in trouble shooting the issue.

well if it isn't constant white smoke that's somewhat of a good thing but there still has to be a reason if it is happening more than once. Post up the results of the compression test on all 4 cylinders as well as what you find from a leak down test and go from there.

drift

Post by drift »

yeah, ill post up what i find and what was the remedy

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

It won't hurt to just test compression but I have a feeling it could be AFM or TPS.

drift

Post by drift »

ok guys. so i finally had time to work on the car this past weekend and even droped the car as low as i can. anyways, im getting 170 175 on all 4 cylinder. got under the car and noticed a bit of oil between where the tranny mounts up against the engine. dont know if that will have anything to do with it but im afraid to pull it apart cause im pretty sure the raer main seal is maybe starting to leak. well, i drove the car last night to work and it was fine but then when i was coming back home. the car just suddenly dies like it just fuel cut or something similair. so i pull over and it idles for a few seconds and just dies. crank it and it starts right up with no problem and then i drove it home without a hitch at all. after thinking about the fuel pump and talking to my brother. i did notice a few weeks ago rigth before this happened. if i stood behind the car i can hear the fuel pump and i thought it was weird cause it was really loud and making a loud buzzing, hissing noise. it lasted for a couple days and then went away. so im guessing its my fuel pump but then again its a new fuel pump.

also doc, i checke dthe tps and the afm and by unpluging them both and they seem to be working just fine sicne the engine totally changes when they are unpluged unless there is another way of checking them.

so my guess is the fuel pump but anyone have an opinion of what else it might be before i drop the fuel tank.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Hmmm, new fuel pump eh. Did we already try swapping out the igniter with one from a known good running 86?

drift

Post by drift »

Im pretty sure the ignitor is good. Its the original one thats on the car but ill probably buy the msd blaster 2 ignitor and change the plug wires too since I dont feel like dropping th tank