front brake problem

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

BlackStar
Tourist

front brake problem

Post by BlackStar »

Still having trouble. My setup is brembo rotors with hawk pads. My problem: the pads rub against the rotors. I did some measurements. The brembo and stock rotors are the same thickness. The hawk pads are thicker the the stock pads. I put the stock pads on, and noticed the rubbing went away a bit, but sometimes it still would. I also pressed on the brake pedal, and tired to spin the rotors again to check from rubbing, and noticed that the rotor would not turn very much, as if the brakes were engaged.

My ideas/questions:

1) how can i set up the pads so they do not rub? i have done brake pads before on other cars, and this car just leaves me scratching my head.

2)Is the caliper piston seized/ seizing? As in, I think the caliper piston is not returning into the caliper, which cause the heavy rubbing after pressing the brake pedal. Keep in mind, the car is off. I am able to press the piston back into the caliper using a c clamp.

3) How will i make my hawk pads work? I have no clue how many miles are on the stock pads, so i do not know if they are newish, or say 40% gone.

4) is their supposed to be some rubbing on the rotor?

bt20v

Re: front brake problem

Post by bt20v »

i have hawk pads and brembo rotors on mine....are you sure your calipers are not sticking closed somewhat
Being a toyotaphile is hard work

1987 GTS Coupe
1985 Toyota 4 Runner Locked and Lifted
1995 4 Runner(sold)
1991 Hilux(never should have sold)
1985 Hilux(wrecked)
1985 GTS Hatch(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)
1985 SR5 Coupe(sold)