Rotors wont spin after new pads

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

BlackStar
Tourist

Rotors wont spin after new pads

Post by BlackStar »

I bought a set of brembo rotors and hawk pads from 88rotors through ebay. I just installed one side and, the rotor doesn't spin. It is somehow coming into contact with the pad(Dragging somewhere). I have the piston compressed all the way, and bought new brake parts hard ware. What else should I look at? It almost looks like the rotor may be to wide, or the pads themselves are too thick, yet these are both stock replacement parts, I figure it is something on my end.

morgan

Re: Rotors wont spin after new pads

Post by morgan »

Lil extra work but try this to diagnose. Swap stuff from drivers to passengers, and vise versa. If same one still sticks, it's not rotors and pads.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

and make sure everything (calipers, rotors, etc...) are lined up properly and not off center,etc...

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

if you put it all together, check to see that you didnt tighten the crown nut down too much.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

If the pads are too thick(once you've diagnosed the problem), just take and wear them down a bit on the concrete in your driveway. I've run into this with EBC pads on more than one car...

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

Just so I can clear it up for everyone, this is my problem:

On the FRONT brakes, my rotors are rubbing against the brake pads. the rotors are the same width as the old ones, so clearance there is not an issue. The piston is all the way in. It is the INSIDE brake pad that keep on rubbing against the rotor. With the caliper up, it does not rub against the rotor. When I swing it down, it does. The pad is also loose when the caliper is moved down. How can I make it so the inner brake pad does not rub against the rotor. I'v put on the old pads, and I still have the same trouble. So, how can i either mess with the pad hardware, or get the pad in right?

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

are your sliders lubed up? the ae86 is equipped with floating calipers. sounds like the caliper isn't sliding on the guidepins. make sure if moves freely. may be all it is

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

@Mckenny, got them lubed up. also did the trick of rubbing them against the driveway. it works now. Also had to take of the rattle plates off the back. I still think the inner pad is still to loose though. I'll have to recheck it later.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

I'll take a pic of the inner rattle clip when I get home, it's really thin on the inside pad. If you use the big one like the outside uses, it'll hang up. I haven't had stock front brakes in a while so I forget sometimes.

BlackStar
Tourist

Post by BlackStar »

Got it fixed. The mounting hardware needed to be manipulated a bit to fit the pads better. Later, when I bleed the brakes I'm going to re-check my work. I can't wait to try out the new setup, it looks so good on the car!