Carb'ing my 86, Fuel Setup?

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

flipkc
Tourist

Carb'ing my 86, Fuel Setup?

Post by flipkc »

Hey Guys,

So I've decided that I want to carb my 86 and am having trouble on fuel setups. I know what parts I want to run, but I'm more interested in how they got to work the external, electric fuel pump (Such as the Holley Red Fuel Pump that I'll be running) with their existing GTS fuel tank setups.

Do I need to run an aftermarket fuel cell? Can I run the stock tank and just plumb the inlet of the Holley fuel pump into GTS gas tank? Do I get a bung welded on the bottom of the GTS tank and run the inlet to the tank from there? Any insight would help me huge as it's the LAST part of my setup that I need help figuring out before I take the plunge and rip out all the wiring nonsense :zombye: .

Thank you in advance!

- - Kev
The Projects:
87' AE86 Hatch (Dream)
90' EE Wagon (Daily)
11' Ruckus (Bike)

flipkc
Tourist

Re: Carb'ing my 86, Fuel Setup?

Post by flipkc »

Hey all, I did some more research, and with some help, I found that I am going to run the Aeromotive Bypass Regulator found here:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-13301/overview/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can use my stock tank, and stock fuel pump, and run this regulator to regulate the PSI to 3.5-4psi!

Success! No need to do an aftermarket fuel cell or an external electric fuel pump!
The Projects:
87' AE86 Hatch (Dream)
90' EE Wagon (Daily)
11' Ruckus (Bike)

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

Sounds good that u found that.... Also dr occa can help u with the carb set up since his car is set up with carbs too...

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I know I had mentioned the Aeromotive 13301 in the C4AG thread if that's what you're referring to but I can't confirm that it will properly drop the pressure down of the factory in-tank pump. I have a feeling that it's meant to work with various pumps at varying output pressure to eliminate/reduce the need to replace the FPR (within its range of course). A good replacement electric pump for a bypass setup would be the electric pump for the first gen RX-7 (carbureted) and possibly even the in-tank pump for the 79 Toyota Corona.

flipkc
Tourist

Post by flipkc »

Apparently to overcome the pressure of the in tank, the return line of off the regulator must be of larger size than the inlet so that more fuel can be dispensed and thus lower the pressure from the inlet (assuming that's how this regulator works). I'm going to give it a shot and I'll get back to everyone on my results!
The Projects:
87' AE86 Hatch (Dream)
90' EE Wagon (Daily)
11' Ruckus (Bike)

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I have my doubts that you'll be able to dial 35+psi down to a consistent low presure of 3-4psi even on a return setup. Even the domestics have very little to no success in this arena when converting from an EFI setup back to a carb'd big block setup. Good luck flipkc.

flipkc
Tourist

Post by flipkc »

Yeah, I'm a little skeptical, but we'll see what happens. I don't want to go to a fuel cell as much as possible as it'll push me out of class SP for my races.
The Projects:
87' AE86 Hatch (Dream)
90' EE Wagon (Daily)
11' Ruckus (Bike)