4AC Throttle leak problem

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

demby123
Tourist

4AC Throttle leak problem

Post by demby123 »

I was trying to flip my secondary diaphragm spring today (bored, why not?) and failed due to a stubborn screw that ended up stripped. Due to the PB blaster that was sprayed onto the screw which is right above the throttle linkage, I think whatever crud that was sealing my throttle shaft from leaking air is now free and I've got a pretty bad vacuum leak. I tested this by spraying brake clean near the shaft and sure enough, the engine idles up. For a while I couldn't get it to idle down from 2-3k rpm but now than it can it barely idles at 1200rpm. The real issue is, how would I go about fixing this...? I'm not even sure if there's a seal or something that keeps air from leaking in or the entire shaft needs to be replaced... Besides the junkyard, where could I get another working throttle shaft?

I also tried slightly tightening the bolt on the end of the throttle shaft in hopes that it could be used to pull the shaft in a little bit, but that just ended with the car dying so I stopped. I'm really tempted to park the car and save money for a bike crab setup, but NTXAS's winter autocross event is coming up...