Cost for paint and body work

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

GamblerZ

Cost for paint and body work

Post by GamblerZ »

I have decided to finally take the plunge to get the coupe's body mended and professionally painted. I think I will keep the car red, but add black for a little punch. Originally I was going to go with a JDM Trueno setup, but now I think I just want to do a body kit.

It looks like this now...

I want it to look something like this...

I've decided that I am going to do the paint and body right removing everything beforehand, sanding, filling, sanding some more, painting, sanding, painting again. You get the idea. My question is, what does a paint job like that typically cost? Anyone recommend a specific body kit? I don't want anything ground scraping, but I want it to look great sitting still.

I am curious for everyone's input. The painter is coming by tomorrow to take a look and give me an estimate. I have my barf bag handy in case his estimate hits my gag reflex.
'85 Toyota Corolla GT-S Hatchback DMG
'92 Lexus SC400 Diamond White Pearl (WTS/WTT)
'99 Lexus SC300 Millenium Silver Metallic (WTS)

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: Cost for paint and body work

Post by dr.occa »

Are you looking to do a two stage (base coat then clear) or single stage (base & clear in one shot)?

What brand paint e.g. House of Colors, Pearl, etc...etc...

I'd expect to pay $800-$1000 for a top notch body work and paint job for starters.

J-Blood is a great all around good looking kit. There's J-Blood II as well. Run Free is another one.

GamblerZ

Post by GamblerZ »

How great it must be to live in Houston where competition thrives. I'm expecting to pay between $1500-$2500. I had one ying-yang already quote me $6000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hotdoghogie

Post by hotdoghogie »

Heads up, knock off side skirts fit like crap, bumpers seem to fit pretty well.

GamblerZ

Post by GamblerZ »

I have heard the same on the side skirts. Thanks.

Well, here it is on the trailer headed to Triple L Motorsports for paint and body work...

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I don't know about you but it looks pretty clean to me so I'm betting it'll turn out even better.

GamblerZ

Post by GamblerZ »

Thanks, but if I am keeping it then it is going to look like something. ;)

Manifesto

Post by Manifesto »

not to pry, but to pry... how much is this? i am in need of similar services to my coupe, so this interests me greatly

GamblerZ

Post by GamblerZ »

The quote I received was $2500 to do a TOTAL disassembly, strip, repair, paint, and reassembly. The guy does a lot of custom work, but he is not particularly fast. He thinks the car will be done by January 1st. I think you people in the Houston area can get FAR, FAR better deals than we can out here in West Texas and still get some quality workmanship coupled with faster service.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

GamblerZ wrote:... I think you people in the Houston area can get FAR, FAR better deals than we can out here in West Texas and still get some quality workmanship coupled with faster service.
This would be attributed to higher numbers competing in the same field for a large portion of those looking for these services. :tu: If you're all that's there providing a particular service with no real competitors then the local consumer public is pretty much at your mercy.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

GamblerZ wrote:The quote I received was $2500 to do a TOTAL disassembly, strip, repair, paint, and reassembly. The guy does a lot of custom work, but he is not particularly fast. He thinks the car will be done by January 1st. I think you people in the Houston area can get FAR, FAR better deals than we can out here in West Texas and still get some quality workmanship coupled with faster service.
just curiouse are you leaving most of the dis-assembly to the body shop? you may be able to save quite a bit if you didassemble some or most your self. dont you have a teen son? get him involved and make it a fun father son team lol it will turn out great i bet.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

GamblerZ

Post by GamblerZ »

ga_goosh wrote:
GamblerZ wrote:The quote I received was $2500 to do a TOTAL disassembly, strip, repair, paint, and reassembly. The guy does a lot of custom work, but he is not particularly fast. He thinks the car will be done by January 1st. I think you people in the Houston area can get FAR, FAR better deals than we can out here in West Texas and still get some quality workmanship coupled with faster service.
just curiouse are you leaving most of the dis-assembly to the body shop? you may be able to save quite a bit if you didassemble some or most your self. dont you have a teen son? get him involved and make it a fun father son team lol it will turn out great i bet.
Actually, my son and I are indeed going to do the disassembly on the car. That way I can inventory parts needs and don't have to worry about broken parts.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

GamblerZ wrote:
ga_goosh wrote:
Actually, my son and I are indeed going to do the disassembly on the car. That way I can inventory parts needs and don't have to worry about broken parts.
that sounds awesome you will have a good time :tu: it also makes it less likely to get parts lost if you store them instead of the shop. i worked at a body shop for about a year as a sander/preper and the shop lost a 1500 chevy truck antena but instead of replacing it they just took it off the next chevy lol they have been doing the antenna swap for over 3 years with everry chevy truck and no one has noticed yet lol.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

mozartung

Post by mozartung »

I plan on doing this as well not to worry about finding parts