Strange front end vibration (AE92)

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Kaidotech
Tourist

Strange front end vibration (AE92)

Post by Kaidotech »

So I'm trying to diagnose a very strange front end vibration in my car. It happens whenever I leave a stop light or stop sign, or go forward at all from 0-10mph. It appears to be coming from the front passenger side, as the vibration sounds like its coming from there and I dont feel it under my feet.

The vibration shakes my dash and steering wheel pretty rough. I thought it was a sticking brake caliper but I took both sides apart and the rotors/pads are fine, and not warped or marked out of the ordinary.

The car only does this when going forward, and not in reverse, and does not make any noise when turning. Above 10 mph, braking, freeway, any other time it doesnt make noise or vibrate. Its a metal on metal sound, but it def sounds like something is intermittently dragging or sticking on and off.

Sometimes it doesnt do this, like after I've braked hard a few times - leading me to believe it has something to do with the brakes.

I've sat in a parkinglot at full lock and accelerated, without a clicking or odd roaring so Im pretty sure its not an axle or bearing - as it doesnt do it in reverse.

Anyone know what I might look at? I've inspected everything under the front end and cant find anything. This all started after a two hour road trip in which I went down a gravel road and drug the front end through the rocks for about 10 feet. Car started doing this immediately afterward all the way home.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

TLNR version: front end vibration from a stop, not in reverse or turning, stops above 10mph. Intermittent.
★Dat AE92★ | Houston, TX | Stance:Nation | 86Garage | FTP North | GC + 4" Hyperco + TTT Hats | HKS SMF | AW11 Basketweaves

GamblerZ

Re: Strange front end vibration (AE92)

Post by GamblerZ »

Did you check the inside of your rim for marring or scratch marks?

Have you checked whether the LCA is clearing?
'85 Toyota Corolla GT-S Hatchback DMG
'92 Lexus SC400 Diamond White Pearl (WTS/WTT)
'99 Lexus SC300 Millenium Silver Metallic (WTS)

Kaidotech
Tourist

Re: Strange front end vibration (AE92)

Post by Kaidotech »

GamblerZ wrote:Did you check the inside of your rim for marring or scratch marks?

Have you checked whether the LCA is clearing?
Inside of the wheel is clearing and free of marks.

The lower control arm is heavily scratched underneath but isnt loose or rubbing against anything.
★Dat AE92★ | Houston, TX | Stance:Nation | 86Garage | FTP North | GC + 4" Hyperco + TTT Hats | HKS SMF | AW11 Basketweaves