engine help!

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

yashiro86

engine help!

Post by yashiro86 »

Hey guys sorry I keep on asking but I need help! So I'm getting to work and about to park...I'm pressing the brake and its stiff and the pedal won't go in to stop. Then the car dies...and start her up again and she is kinda bogging like it wants to die. I press the brake again and it makes a sound like air is being released. I pull into a parking spot before she dies again and she. I try to stop the pedal won't go in, had to use the ebrake to stop! I parked turned her off and had to split cuz I was late for work. I only had a chance to check the brake fuild level...it was full. So now I'm at work and can't check it....any ideas??? Now that I think of the pressure releasing noise I think its the brake booster...any thoughts??? Thanks

Manifesto

Re: engine help!

Post by Manifesto »

you have issues with brake booster. maybe one of the vac lines to it.

yashiro86

Post by yashiro86 »

Hmmm maybe it popped off or ripped? How can I check? Thanks again for the help manifesto

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Check the hose from the booster to the manifold. See if it has cracks and/or splits in it. It would explain you not being able to apply enough brake pressure AND the car dieing as if it had a vacuum leak.

yashiro86

Post by yashiro86 »

Thanks Jonas! Gotta try (keyword) to see if I can fix it myself...so questions if I don't find leaks or cuts, breaks, etch. How would I know if the booster needs replacing?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I've never troubleshooted a booster but if you don't find any leaks, etc then see about borrowing one from someone with a known working booster, swap and test. Easiest method for me.

yashiro86

Post by yashiro86 »

Good idea...but I drove the car home very cautiously last night...under speed limit, down shifting, and using the ebrake...made it home okay....so my dads mechanic friend is taking a look at it while I'm here at work...ugh wish I could be there to help and learn something...but hopefully it gets fixed and ill post updates!

Manifesto

Post by Manifesto »

download the bgb. it has the procedures for all of these things. idk where on my hdd is it atm, but google knows all.

iirc you use a vac gauge to test, idk the particulars though. id simply troubleshoot the vacuum system, and then replace the booster if necessary. im 90% certain that there will be no problem afterwards.

yashiro86

Post by yashiro86 »

Hmmmm I should def look into it. Well the mechanic says the brake booster went out...ordered one today, he will swap it out tomorrow

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

I had a feeling it was your booster.

yashiro86

Post by yashiro86 »

Sib the booster was replaced and it worked fine...but...the rpms would raise when I stepped on the brakes...so the mechanic came today and turns out the master cylinder was leaking! So we ordered a new one today at autozone...2days to get here :/ hopefully this stops the nonsense lol

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Go S13 non-abs brake MC.

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

dr.occa wrote:Go S13 non-abs brake MC.
would a z32 be too much for the rolla?
I like cars, food, and puppies.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

JDMwhiteboy wrote:
dr.occa wrote:Go S13 non-abs brake MC.
would a z32 be too much for the rolla?
Hmmm, it's definitely a larger bore than both the 86 AND S13 but it would need to have 3 outlets (x1 for rear & x2 for front) and a built in proportioner. Also, check that it bolts right up to the booster. If it meets all those criteria, man I'd rock one too. Would be an even better option when going boosterless for sure :tu:.

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

I will have to, I say z32 because it is the s13 bolt on upgrade brake booster
I like cars, food, and puppies.