motor shaking issue

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

GTSRolla34

Re: motor shaking issue

Post by GTSRolla34 »

Pull your upper and middle timing covers off and rotate the engine to TDC. Check to see if the timing marks line up. The motor didn't shake at all when we first started it. If the timing jumped a tooth since then you'll need to fix it. Your ignition timing may be at 10* BTDC, but a jumped tooth with throw off your cam timing. May explain the violent shake.

I've been in and out of town and I left my phone at home so I didn't see all your missed calls. However, if you're going to call me, leave a message. It does no good if your just going to hang up. 1 vague message 5 or 6 days before I see it, along with no email or PM doesn't tell me anything.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

oh sorry man im bad at leaving messages i assumed you were at home or work

but it turned out to be a resistor i had borrowed one from a friend tonight and everything works fine, no shaking no nada and it idles fine so i guess it was just the resistor i had just went bad how? i dunno but it solved the problem

but now i have to return the resistor by the weekend back to the owner

SO

does anyone have a resistor that works i can buy?
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Resistor?

What "resistor" is it? Polaroids... !

assassin10000
Tourist

Post by assassin10000 »

Probably the injector resistor box.

Andrew

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Would the injector resistor box really 'cause that...? Hmmm, I guess sending incorrect voltage to the injectors...

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

assassin10000 wrote:Probably the injector resistor box.

Andrew
yea thats what i meant, the injector resistor box, as soon as i changed it the shaking and everything stopped, i would assume if the injector resistor box wasn't working none of the connectors to the injectors would work but who knows either way im glad i got it figured out but now i have to find another resistor box b/c i have to return my friend's back to him by the weekend

does anyone know if there are any other injector resistor box's i can use off of any other cars?

sr5 corolla? maybe a mr2 that had the largeport?

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

injector resistor box

does anyone know if there are any other injector resistor box's i can use off of any other cars to work with the 86

another corolla? maybe a mr2 (aw11) ?

assassin10000
Tourist

Re: injector resistor box

Post by assassin10000 »

AW11, AE92 (early/bigport/tvis), FX16 GTS and probably many others.

Andrew

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Do you a pic or a link to it?
There are no spare parts, only unfinished projects.

1985 ae86 hatch 7age (coming soon to a parking lot near you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

cdixon311 wrote:Do you a pic or a link to it?
a pic of the resistor box?

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Re: injector resistor box

assassin10000 wrote:AW11, AE92 (early/bigport/tvis), FX16 GTS and probably many others.

Andrew
thanks i guess i'll have to dive in at the junkyard today are all those injectors for those cars the same impetence and ohms?

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

for some reason #2 still isn't firing aside from the resistor being part of the problem im still troubleshooting with the good resistor i have for the time being, spark is there i have a new dist. cap, new plug wires, new ngk spark plugs, i checked on #2 wire and to see if it would arc on the tower nut and it did so spark is there, checked to see if the connector for 2 had continuity and it didn't so i went ahead and bought a new injector connector for #2 and got it soldiered in, tried to start the car up again and pulled the plug wire for #2 and it still didn't change a thing so a friend came by and we checked from the ecu to the connector itself to see if it had continuity so that connector does but still no fuel

swapped the injector from 2 to 4 and it still works on #4 so i think that should rule out that the injector originally in place of 2 was bad it works apparently

i went ahead and took a look at spark plug on cyl#2 and i don't see any fuel on the plug so im stumped

does anyone else have any ideas????

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

is the plug not firing or the injector?

if you have continuety with less than .04 ohms of resistance(not including the resistor box) than your wiring and connectors should be good. you should have a 12v source that comes from the fuze block than through the resistor block and to one side of the injector. you should have a constant 12v at that pin on the injector with the key on engine off. if you dont on #2 but you do on the rest the resistor box or the wiring between the resistor box is bad. this is a pretty short section of wiring on the engine harness. so after the injector has its 12v source it travels to the ecm to be grounded via injector drivers which then ground at the intake manifold right next to the fuel rail. so if you have your 12v at the injector but the signal is not being grounded to fire the injector i would check the wiring after the injector on the ecu side. our fuel injection is a batch fire not true sequential. the #2 and #4 should fire through the same wire. so if #2 is not firing but #4 is i would check the wiring for an open between the ecu signal wire on injector #2 and the splice where they come together before they get to the ecu.

if its got a 12v source and is being fired by the ecu its a mechanical issue. place the injector in a bottle and crank the motor if no fuel comes out it may be clogged.

a noid or test light held on the injector signal wire at the injector is a good way to see if its being fired by the ecu.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

mooreofit wrote:is the plug not firing or the injector?

if you have continuety with less than .04 ohms of resistance(not including the resistor box) than your wiring and connectors should be good. you should have a 12v source that comes from the fuze block than through the resistor block and to one side of the injector. you should have a constant 12v at that pin on the injector with the key on engine off. if you dont on #2 but you do on the rest the resistor box or the wiring between the resistor box is bad. this is a pretty short section of wiring on the engine harness. so after the injector has its 12v source it travels to the ecm to be grounded via injector drivers which then ground at the intake manifold right next to the fuel rail. so if you have your 12v at the injector but the signal is not being grounded to fire the injector i would check the wiring after the injector on the ecu side. our fuel injection is a batch fire not true sequential. the #2 and #4 should fire through the same wire. so if #2 is not firing but #4 is i would check the wiring for an open between the ecu signal wire on injector #2 and the splice where they come together before they get to the ecu.

if its got a 12v source and is being fired by the ecu its a mechanical issue. place the injector in a bottle and crank the motor if no fuel comes out it may be clogged.

a noid or test light held on the injector signal wire at the injector is a good way to see if its being fired by the ecu.
well i swapped the injector from 2 with 4 and it still works on 4 so that kinda helped me rule out the injector issue would be nice if it was i would be driving it already :(

aside from that on the resistor box it seems when i looked in the fsm that 2 and 4 should fire at the same time yes but it seems like it wouldn't even matter to check 2 and 4 because 1 and 2 are on the same pin on the resistor and then 3 and 4 are on the same so even though 2 and 4 fire at the same time it would only be at the same ohms as 1 if that makes sense

and me and a friend did a continuity test from the ecu to the injector clip for 2 and it has continuity all the way through so there aren't any breaks in the wiring from the clips to the ecu so im still stumped

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

I think I still have my injectors from the 4afe I pulled out of my ae92 1990
There are no spare parts, only unfinished projects.

1985 ae86 hatch 7age (coming soon to a parking lot near you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050