motor shaking issue

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

motor shaking issue

Post by daveskatesallday »

having some issues the motor shakes a lot and im kinda stumped on it, the motor mounts are good, aside from that i can't really put my finger on why it's shaking so much maybe someone else will have a clue

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pEfTHh0XpRM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pEfTHh0XpRM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Re: motor shaking issue

maybe i need solid mounts???

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

wow. hows your tranny crossmember mounts. my stock one dont shake that bad. did you check them? didnt really sound like it had a missfire either.make sure the mounts tight and not tore up.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

mooreofit wrote:wow. hows your tranny crossmember mounts. my stock one dont shake that bad. did you check them? didnt really sound like it had a missfire either.make sure the mounts tight and not tore up.
well my old one was shot to hell but i had picked up another one it was in really good condition and i wouldn't assume it to be the cause but maybe im not too sure and nah no missfiring it's timed correctly it's at 10deg. check it with the timing gun as well and when i looked at the motor mounts they were in really good condition, one of them was a little questionable it had a small crack in it but i checked around the whole mount with the crack and the rest of it was really good it isn't breaking off or anything but im kinda stumped

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Consider new oem engine mounts including new trans mount. Not necessarily from Toyota but say from O'reilly. You want to rule out all the mounts for sure.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

yea im thinking about picking up mounts as soon as i can get some cash if anybody would like to buy parts in the f/s i have posted :D

til then im just hummin' and bummin'

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Dave, double check to make sure all your timing marks are lined up when the car is set to TDC: i.e. cam gears are lined up AS WELL AS the timing mark on the timing belt gear to the "pimple" on the oil pump. THEN confirm the dizzy is stabbed in correctly. It'll help visually if you mark where the cylinder 1 post is on the dist. body and then remove the cap when you go to re-stab the distributor. Then, if it is still shaking just the same go spend money on NEW motor mounts.

assassin10000
Tourist

Post by assassin10000 »

Beck-Arnley brand mounts in some cases are OEM mounts in an aftermarket box.

I bought a set of them from rockauto, beck-arnley box - toyota sticker on the mount. 84 sr5 mounts. they're about $10 ea now, but I got them at around $5 ea.

Andrew

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

geez that's pretty cheap

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

my first guess would be the timing like dr.occa said, if not, it's got to be the mounts
There are no spare parts, only unfinished projects.

1985 ae86 hatch 7age (coming soon to a parking lot near you)
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

picked up some new mounts so tomorrow early in the morning im going to put those in and see if that's what it is

also put some new spark plugs in and tomorrow should be getting some new plug wires as well to go with that to see if that changes anything

i tried pulling the plug wires on each cylinder

#1 - motor stumbles when the plug wires is pulled like it should
#2 - there is no change when it's pulled
#3 - motor stumbles just like #1
#4 - is the same as #2

so im wondering if the plug wires are bad ? i pulled the distributor cap off and took a look inside and there isn't anything in there no oil or any corrosion so im guessing the cap is good but maybe it can be old ? or maybe the distributor needs to be changed

anyone have ideas what else it could be? i guess i'll have to wait and put the new mounts in as well as the new plug wires and distributor cap

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Id do the mounts first and take it from there. It doesn't really sound like an idle problem. Have you seen the condition of your mounts yet? They're usually toast on these older cars. Mine were in multiple pieces lol

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

cdixon311 wrote:Id do the mounts first and take it from there. It doesn't really sound like an idle problem. Have you seen the condition of your mounts yet? They're usually toast on these older cars. Mine were in multiple pieces lol
put brand new mounts in, new spark plug wires, new spark plugs, new distributor cap, still shaking :evil:

assassin10000
Tourist

Post by assassin10000 »

Whats your idle RPM? Got cams?

Andrew

cdixon311

Post by cdixon311 »

Whcih mounts did you replace? I wonder if your timing is off. My timing belt was skipping teeth recently but it didn't shake like your describing

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6050