4AC Bottom End

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

tex
Tourist

4AC Bottom End

Post by tex »

This is probably a stupid question, but is a 4ac bottom end the same as a 4age bottom end. I have a decently running 4ac, and a 4age with crank/bearing wear. Was wondering if I could simply swap the bottom half and be thumbs up.

Try not to slap your forehead too hard, I'm an amateur. haha.

Thanks in Advance!

AE86Taylor
Tourist

Re: 4AC Bottom End

Post by AE86Taylor »

4AG has a 8 bolt flywheel setup on the crank, the 4AC has a 6 bolt flywheel setup. So unfortunately it is not a swap and go affair. Not sure about the rods, but the pistons also do not have the proper relief cuts due to the 4AC having only 8 valves.

tex
Tourist

Post by tex »

Aww man you had to go and rain on my parade. but thanks for the info.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

the 4ac bottom end will still mate up to the 4age head. the head will flow better than that of the 4ac's but remember, it's a 4ac bottom end.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

tex wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but is a 4ac bottom end the same as a 4age bottom end. I have a decently running 4ac, and a 4age with crank/bearing wear. Was wondering if I could simply swap the bottom half and be thumbs up.

Try not to slap your forehead too hard, I'm an amateur. haha.

Thanks in Advance!

actually this is what's in my car currently haha and i hate it 4ac bottom ftl...
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

tex
Tourist

Post by tex »

Well, its not so much the bottom end that i need, as it is the crankshaft. I don't guess it happens to be the same crank in both blocks does it?

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

no it's not the same appearance-wise they look identical comparing a 4ac to a 4ag crank but the 4ac crank won't mate with the 4ag/gts bellhousing the 4ac uses the 6-bolt pattern on the flywheel as the gts uses the 8-bolt, hope im not confusing

anyway the 3rib internals you said you have im assuming it's 4ag/gts stuff? i still was interested in that

tex
Tourist

Post by tex »

daveskatesallday wrote:anyway the 3rib internals you said you have im assuming it's 4ag/gts stuff? i still was interested in that
I think you're thinking of someone else. I will probably have a LOT of stuff coming up for sale soon, but I'm getting my car running first before I accidentally sell anything I might need.

Thanks again for the help, btw. 86garage never lets me down.

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

you know what you're absolutely right his s/n is "rex" not "tex" how misleading @_@

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

just keep in mind everyone, the crank is covered by the flywheel & clutch assembly so you won't have to worry about it being incompatible with a GTS bell housing. the A series family of toyota motor blocks essentially share the same bell housing patterns. you essentially can mate a GTS bell housing & trans assembly to a 4AC motor if you were so inclined.