Steering Column Needed?

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

tex
Tourist

Steering Column Needed?

Post by tex »

Hey guys, I've finally stripped my gt-s donor car down, and am fixing to put my SR-5 in the shop to get started on it. I am planning on doing a stripped down version, no a/c, no power steering, battery relocate, wire tuck, etc...Anyways, I heard that I would not only need a manual rack and pinion setup, but a manual steering column as well. If that's true, how hard are those to come by? Otherwise, would it be bad to just loop my power steering rack/pinion lines, and keep it instead?

Thanks in advance.

a.k.a.vene

Re: Steering Column Needed?

Post by a.k.a.vene »

mines power steering n im gonna take all the hydrolic bs off. i dont think u need to go manual.i havent heard any body actually tell me wats the advantage of manual.But i bought a manual rack thinking the same as u.but then they pop my bubble.
TILL IT REDLINES HACHI!!!!!!!!
NONSTOPTUNING.COM

TEAMSUNWORKS.COM

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

with the manual rack you don't have to worry about p/s fluid leaking from time to time, also you get more angle out of having a manual rack (usually more useful with drifting) or if you like parking easily in tight spots lol
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

GTSRolla34

Post by GTSRolla34 »

It's not necessary to find a manual column. You can get the manual rack from a couple different vehicles. You can reuse your power column. Just find a MK3 supra intermediate shaft to replace your stock PS one. It's quite a bit longer and will let you get the correct length to reach the manual u-joint.

Manual rack (I used a rack from a '83 AE71)
U-joint (I used a 93 tercel u-joint)
MK3 Intermediate shaft

Plus, if you can get your hands on it you can fit the Quaife quick ratio steering rack into one.

a.k.a.vene

Post by a.k.a.vene »

ahhhh, ok .so i guess i will use my manual rack,in my drifting car.not da daily car
TILL IT REDLINES HACHI!!!!!!!!
NONSTOPTUNING.COM

TEAMSUNWORKS.COM

tex
Tourist

Post by tex »

Is it bad to run with the p/s rack lines looped, so I can keep all the other power steering crap out of the bay?

daveskatesallday
VIP Member

Post by daveskatesallday »

a.k.a.vene wrote:ahhhh, ok .so i guess i will use my manual rack,in my drifting car.not da daily car

well whenever ppl drift corollas in general the manual rack with p/s knuckles you get the most angle and more angle is good in drifting but you can use it in your dd it wouldn't affect daily driving just more angle but you're not going to be turning the wheel alll the way left or right when you take a left or right turn daily anyway haha but you get my drift
"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of."

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

looping the hard lines on your ps rack won't create problems. just make sure the rack has ps fluid in it first before you seal her up. the difference between the ps and manual racks is the kingpin: steering ratio is higher for easier turning on the manual as opposed to the power steering. the manual rack offers more response to the driver. with the quaife, you reduce what would be 3.0 to 3.5 turns from lock to lock to 2.5. also to support what daveskates was saying: with the manual rack in conjunction with ps knuckles you get more steering angle lock to lock. double that with an inner tie rod spacer kit.

tex
Tourist

Post by tex »

Awesome, thanks for the help. Ya'll never let me down.

McKenney
VIP Member

Post by McKenney »

I'm running the stock ps r&p looped and it's fine. I have big forearms so I don't notice much at all. My wife is 115lbs. of skinny white woman and she drives my car just fine too. bt20v's 87 GTS has ps and it works but I honestly can't tell the difference between his and mine.