AC R12 v R134

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

AC R12 v R134

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Ok so with summer coming up I would like to have AC again, my 240sx kinda just left me hot and sweaty. Now I bought the corolla in Oct. so I havent needed to use the AC till like now. It blows air fine but not cold, I know I need a charge but my question is should I stay with r12 or convert to r134a? For the guys who have converted , have yall had any real problems with switching?
I like cars, food, and puppies.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: AC R12 v R134

Post by dr.occa »

R134 can be just as cold as R12. it's really dependent on how much CFM you can move through your condenser through your radiator. if you go with say a dual core rad from a del sol or si and use a fan on the rad AND a fan on the condenser, you should end up complaining about how cold it gets in the cabin.

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

Nice idea, I might have to hit my a junkyard, but as for the converting it, I know nothing about AC work so do I need to get a conversion kit for my car or are they universal? Then is it evac my system of whatever r12 and its oil is left and then new oil and r134?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

r134a is really just changing the hi pressure and low pressure fittings (maybe just one side. can't remember sorry). you can easily pick up the conversion "kit" from o'reilly's or autozone.

if the system is completely empty, most likely there's been a leak. you'll have to replace the drier and have the system evac'd. then recharged with oil and refrigerant.

since you'll be breaking the system open anyway, you might as well replace all your o-rings. check that the compressor clutch pulley spins freely. then with the new drier installed and the system closed up have it evac'd and tested that it maintains pressure (i.e. no leaks). you know, any shop that services automotive a/c systems knows all this.

JDMwhiteboy
VIP Member

Post by JDMwhiteboy »

This is true, thanks man I am going to find a shop and just talk to the guys there