mad wheel hop

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

c4ptiv3

mad wheel hop

Post by c4ptiv3 »

my transmission mount was broke and I figured that was the problem. I have since replaced it, and when I took it drifting it was still bouncing around. I figure it's a bushing, but which ones? Hook a brother up since I'm a suspension noob
RIP Dustin Fogarty; drift enthusiast, friend
--------------------------
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

mooreofit
VIP Member

Re: mad wheel hop

Post by mooreofit »

im assuming its lowered? check all bushings with a pry bar if there's a lot of play within the bushing area replace.

if lowered see link VVVVV

http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

well in the description of the bushing kit on 3t he says alot of those bushings might not be interchangeable with other aftermarket parts. So I would hate to spend the money on a full bushing kit and only use some of them. Thanks for linking the traction brackets, somehow I overlooked those.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

c4ptiv3 wrote:my transmission mount was broke and I figured that was the problem. I have since replaced it, and when I took it drifting it was still bouncing around. I figure it's a bushing, but which ones? Hook a brother up since I'm a suspension noob
just curious, when you say it's still bouncing around, what exactly is bouncing around and when: on take off are the rear wheels actually hopping? when the car is side ways do you have excessive body roll and/or when it's sideways does the leading side or trailing side all of a sudden dip and force you to straighten out or spin? does the car not let you get sideways and immediately straightens out or spins?

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

dr.occa wrote:
c4ptiv3 wrote:my transmission mount was broke and I figured that was the problem. I have since replaced it, and when I took it drifting it was still bouncing around. I figure it's a bushing, but which ones? Hook a brother up since I'm a suspension noob
just curious, when you say it's still bouncing around, what exactly is bouncing around and when: on take off are the rear wheels actually hopping? when the car is side ways do you have excessive body roll and/or when it's sideways does the leading side or trailing side all of a sudden dip and force you to straighten out or spin? does the car not let you get sideways and immediately straightens out or spins?

excessive wheel hop when the tires are spinning. burnouts and donuts. I had no issues when drifting. Just when I'd spin out and start screwing around. It seemed once the tires started to hook up it would get really violent. reminded me of my SRT4 when I would slam it into 2nd gear.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

i see. i agree with alan's initial suggestion regarding replacing worn bushings e.g. 4 links, panhard and swaybar. if the car is lowered, your lower links are at more of an upward angle (from chassis to axle) rather than their intended downward position which directs car weight onto the rear wheels.

urethane bushings should help and definitely traction brackets for lowered 86s.

kevlar corolla

Post by kevlar corolla »

Lowering can also change the pinion angle enough to sometimes cause wheel hop,mine never had but its something to look at.

c4ptiv3

Post by c4ptiv3 »

appreciate the info guys. I'll have to check into it soon. 86 garage comes through again! Now I gotta get ready for GSS this weekend. We head out in a few hours.
84 GT-S Hatch
14 Fiesta ST

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

hit us up , we might be there. look for the blue\grey coupe on black supras.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]