Trying to get my 20v running....

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

STLove

Re: Trying to get my 20v running....

Post by STLove »

so I need the 16v alternator and alternator bracket... :(

So the SR520v wont be making it out to the event unless I can get a trailer...
There is nothing 10 shots of Jager can't fix...

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

i got a spare you can borrow.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

STLove

Post by STLove »

oh sweet jesus!

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

im not heading out there you gotta come here.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

STLove

Post by STLove »

Ok so I extended the wire for the alternator to the passenger side but i am still not getting th 14v while the engine is on.... I am going to double check the wires but I think I am missing something....

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

you'll most likely want to pull the charging lines from a gts with the fuseable links too. this would be the ideal wiring for the charge system when going to 16v/20v.

you'll want to wire them in the same way you find them on a GTS setup. i waited years to do it and went through multiple alternators in the process of my procrastination. the SR5 charging routing isn't sufficient IMO.

STLove

Post by STLove »

so i am completely retarded... Igot some wire for my alternator and like an idiot started taking off the 12v wire from the alternator... w/o taking the battery out.... there was a spark and now nothing works except my headlights.... mind you not the moters that work the pop ups... just the lights them selves...

so I checked all the fuses in the engine bay and they all look ok... so i am going to check the ones in the cab, but I am thinking that at least my engine should start unless i fried the ECU....

its been a bad day...

STLove

Post by STLove »

so i checked all in cab fuses as well ad they are all ok........ but still nothing works

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

first off you HAVE blown some at least one of your fuses most likely the 100amp alt fuse thats right at the positive terminal of the battery as i bet this also feeds 12v source to most of these other devices that aren't working.

turn your voltmeter to continuity or ohms and place one lead on the battery positive terminal and the other on the alternator battery positive terminal and you should have no more than .3 ohms of resistance. most i have seen are around .2 ohms.

if it reads infinite you have an open in the system. check fuses first.THOROUGHLY!! then ohm out the wiring till you find your open.its all under the hood .

after you clean up that mess get a wiring diagram of the charging system...

then go to the connector and check the all the wires for voltage with the key on.

they all should have 12v or battery voltage with the key ON. if not check the fuses outlined in the diagram. or ohm out the wires if necessary to find the open.

then start the car and check the voltage coming out of the alternator. it should be at least 14.5 volts and 60 or so amps.(most voltmeters only measure small amounts of amperage.

if the alternator tests good make sure you have a solid engine to chassis ground. this ground is super important since most of the engine electronics ground to the engine.

Once you have finished and its still not putting out call me and ill try to figure out how to get there. mick will be working with me in the next couple days so it will be harder to get us both out there since we will alternating says off.its been stupid buzy lately so no promises

td-civ
Tourist

Post by td-civ »

the corolla im building did the same thing i found out it was the fuel pump so i put a relay on it

STLove

Post by STLove »

OK! so i pulled my head out of my a$$ and replace ALL the fuses :D and put in a 6guage line to the alternator and now everything is working as it should... i think... I am reading 13.9 while the car is on full load (lights, engine, wipers, fan, and fuel pump)

STLove

Post by STLove »

oh just wanted to say a serious thanks to all you guys for your awesome advice!! and BIG UPs to Alan for getting me off my lazy ass :P

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

i'd like to see a video of this car running.... :)
JDM AE86/AE92

STLove

Post by STLove »

Video up check the link

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2255&p=24328#p24328" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

STLove

Post by STLove »

sooooo i took my car to get aligned and i just picked it up during lunch and now my alternator doesn't work again.....