motor mods

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

landslideATX
VIP Member

motor mods

Post by landslideATX »

i'm thinking about doing stuff to my motor. i need to pull it out to replace all the gaskets. i figured i would maybe throw something on there. like adj cam gears or some cams, or pulleys. would pulleys do anything for me. some people have told me that it won't do anything for me. but if it doesn't do anything for me then why do they sell them? I'm still new to the motor part of the car. thanks.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

I would say they are worth it they allow you to fine tune your cam adjustment and the pulleys let you free up some hp www.nonstoptuning.com check them out they sell lots of good pulley and adj cam gears for the 86 and there in texas.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

nt66 wrote:I would say they are worth it they allow you to fine tune your cam adjustment and the pulleys let you free up some hp www.nonstoptuning.com check them out they sell lots of good pulley and adj cam gears for the 86 and there in texas.
^^^what he said :D

o.g.darkdrifter
Tourist

Post by o.g.darkdrifter »

With a good crank pulley it will have similar effect to a lighter weight flywheel. Basically it's decreasing rotational mass thus making it easier for the engine to produce "work".
Noob since 2004

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

o.g.darkdrifter wrote:With a good crank pulley it will have similar effect to a lighter weight flywheel. Basically it's decreasing rotational mass thus making it easier for the engine to produce "work".
again...^^^what he said

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

rip off all that useless emissions krap that robs ur hp

pecx
Zeus - Ultra Mega Admin

Post by pecx »

Gasket? Head gasket? You would consider head work if you want to use this motor for years.
New timimg belt OEM toyota is good $30
New Camshaft seal
Valve job + resurface + new valve seals $250 +-

Camgear doesnt make much different if you still have the stock cam.

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

pecx wrote:Gasket? Head gasket? You would consider head work if you want to use this motor for years.
New timimg belt OEM toyota is good $30
New Camshaft seal
Valve job + resurface + new valve seals $250 +-

Camgear doesnt make much different if you still have the stock cam.
well i have the full gasket rebuild kit. i just don't have a motor lift, or the know how and tools to take the motor apart and put it back together here in austin. so thats why i'm looking for people who run corollas in austin so i can have someone to help me due to the fact that i don't have the money to pay a shop. one shop wanted to charge me $5oo just to pull the motor out, let me replace all the gaskets, and then put it back in for me. so yeah.