who should I have do my engine swap?

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

driftdreams

who should I have do my engine swap?

Post by driftdreams »

Hello everyone. I am brand new to this forum. I have been a long time member of club 4ag. I recently purchased an 85 sr5 and it has a weak 4ac. I am planning on buying a black top very soon. My delima is who should I have do the work? I want this done right. I am sure there is going to be other parts that will need to be located as well for this swap and I want someone who is knoledgable and profesional to do this right. Thank you for your time. (In the Houston area)

MadeInThe80s

Post by MadeInThe80s »

You'll have to figure out water line relocation and do the distributor mod to it. I know HondaRue was thinking about doing some stuff with this but Im not sure.

Dr. Tweak on club4ag can do your wiring harness for you as he does them ALOT. Sells premade ones on Ebay as well.

As for shops I dont know as Im in DFW, but we did sorta just do one a couple weeks ago for mandm177.

Its really not that difficult, just time consuming.
86 GTS 4AGTE

MadeInThe80s

Post by MadeInThe80s »

Oh and welcome to the forums!
86 GTS 4AGTE

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

yes, hello and welcome to the forums.

where you go and who you have do it depends on how much of the swap you'll have already available.

if you plan on sticking with a stock ecu and harness or go full ecu management.

water routing is a main issue you'll need to decide on how to resolve.

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

If at all possible, Id suggest you do as much research as possible, buy the parts, and jump in and do it. You'll learn so much about the car and the happiness that you feel when the engine first fires up is unbelievable.

If you dont have even a basic knowledge of what to do, or how to do it, then id suggest maybe you have it done for you.

The main concerns are:
Water reroute (kits are available)
ignition system (various options, ranging in price)
wiring harness (2 options unless you want to do it yourself)
buying an engine from a reputable shop

OR you can just buy a completed swap kit from someone on club4ag who is selling everything as a package. that way you dont have to worry about collecting parts and its just a straight drop in.

FYI: unless your engine runs GREAT out of the box (like my first engine), be prepared to do alot of troubleshooting (like im currently doing). just ask Chris (madeinthe80s) :P

pecx
Zeus - Ultra Mega Admin

Post by pecx »

I would suggest

Bang or cut the firewall use stock distributor and do this water line
http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=1012&page=1
http://www.jspfab.com/catalog/i59.html

The motor is only $800

Water line kit from T3 is $680
Front mount dizzy kit is $400+++
and these $1xxx kits do not make you go faster.

driftdreams

Post by driftdreams »

Water reroute (kits are available)
ignition system (various options, ranging in price)
wiring harness (2 options unless you want to do it yourself)
buying an engine from a reputable shop

Thanks guys you all have been most helpful! As far as these are concerned would you have any suggestions?

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

water reroute: i bought my kit from Sam Q (http://s-86.com/) he's in Australia so shipping might take a while, but i believe his prices are fair. He's also made some modifications since ive dealt with him. A really nice guy who is willing to help you out.

Igniton: you can bang the firewall in (free), buy a distributor locator kit (at least $400, different japanese companies offer it), or go with a Coil On Plug System. I think in the end, my COP system was about $150. Thats the price of 4 COP's and the distributor cover.

Wiring Harness: Dr Tweak or Mr220v on club4ag. Prices are comparable to each other.

Buying an engine: I bought my first engine from a local importer here in Dallas, J-hot (www.jhotimports.com/). Great engine, great service, and a fair price. I recently bought a short block from Makoto (http://www.makotoengines.com/) which was a very good price, but im having to do some troubleshooting. JHot's engine ran GREAT out of the box. Its always a crapshoot when buying an engine from an importer, so just be cautious. It might be even more dangerous to buy from a person who just pulled it out of his car in California, but its a risk you have to be willing to take.

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

the samq kit..... how much was that and how well did it work?

i've seen it on Club4a but haven't really seen too much on it
JDM AE86/AE92

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

the SQ engineering stuff is quite the catch for anyone wanting to do a 20v conversion in my opinion.

HondaRue

Post by HondaRue »

I personally think going straight from an Sr5 to 20v is going to be difficult. When my car still had the Sr5 drivetrain and I was looking to go gze I took some good advise from the members on club4ag and started by getting a running gts conversion before complicating it further.
85 Hatch SR5 => GTS High Comp Levin!!!
84 Coupe SR5 => GTS JDM MAP 16V (My Wife's car!)

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

Ah. i didnt even realize that it was an SR5.

Besides, the engine, i think the only other thing that is different would be the fuel system, correct? In that case, you'll have to upgrade to the GTS fuel tank, lines, pump and filter. Also the bell housing for the GTS would be needed as well.

CBR_TOY: it was one of the few kits that was actually shipping when i wanted to do my swap, and i couldnt be happier. The side block off is top notch, and the rear bypass works like a charm as well. I know that he has a different solution for the front upper water neck that should be ALOT less painful then what i had to go through. His support is also great as well. It sucks that emails arent answered right away, but hes on the other side of the world, nothing much you can do about that.

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

oh ok.... i made the block off plates and the rear bypass but i am trying to figure out about the upper coolant passage.

i might have to hit him up..... think he could get it here ny 1/31/10 for the bad ass NST event?
JDM AE86/AE92

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

yea, i think it took about a week to have things shipped. hit him up and let him know Mark from Dallas sent you.

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

smt of coarse :twisted:

I CAN'T SPELL!!!!
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]