a tip for changing the tranny oil

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Nasser

a tip for changing the tranny oil

Post by Nasser »

i know on the 86 usually what you do is drain the tranny oil and open the bolt above it and put a hose in it and pump the oil into their. i was told that its usually on nissans that you can fill it in through the shifter housing but not on Toyota because it is a separate piece. i didn't want to pump oil into it because it looked like a pain in the ass to do so i took off the shifter and it looked just like the housing like a cup and that it was separate from the tranny but i noticed that on the top right bolt that holds down the shifter their is a small hole to the left of it that you can fill it from i just cut a little bit off of the tip of the cap from the bottle of gear oil and squeezed it in to their.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: a tip for changing the tranny oil

Post by dr.occa »

projectredae86 wrote:i know on the 86 usually what you do is drain the tranny oil and open the bolt above it and put a hose in it and pump the oil into their. i was told that its usually on nissans that you can fill it in through the shifter housing but not on Toyota because it is a separate piece. i didn't want to pump oil into it because it looked like a pain in the ass to do so i took off the shifter and it looked just like the housing like a cup and that it was separate from the tranny but i noticed that on the top right bolt that holds down the shifter their is a small hole to the left of it that you can fill it from i just cut a little bit off of the tip of the cap from the bottle of gear oil and squeezed it in to their.
filling the tranny up from the shifter requires you to make "exact" measurments of fluid to add. and if you're like me and have a complete interior (or at least have the center console installed along with the shift boot, etc...) you have more things to dismantle and bolts to unscrew than the 1 filler bolt on the the tranny. you'll have the car up anyway with draining the old tranny fluid. and when you refill/add tranny fluid via the filler hole until you begin to have the thin steady stream of t fluid escaping, you won't wonder if it'll need more (unless you have a leak somewhere :( ).

pick up one of these:

PLEWS FLUID PUMP - for quart bottles

it'll make refilling your trans/diff fluid(s) a whole lot easier.

you'll find 'em at oreilly's, autozone, advanced auto parts, etc...

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

i just cut the tip off of the gear oil can so it was a small hole a poured in 2 cans of royal purple and seems fine and feels smoother i think it takes 1.8 cans but i just put 2

o.g.darkdrifter
Tourist

Post by o.g.darkdrifter »

over filling your tranny or diff can have bad bad results.
Noob since 2004

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

o.g.darkdrifter wrote:over filling your tranny or diff can have bad bad results.
o.g. is correct. overfilling on fluids is a bad idea. too much fluid can actually cause overheating of the gear assembly and that excess fluid will want to go somewhere i.e. out the seals and in the case of your engine oil, out the dipstick and all-over the engine bay. following the manufacturer's recommended fluid capacities doesn't mean you're some lemming w/o any sense. :wink:

Overdrift

Post by Overdrift »

you also have to realize even factory specs may not be 100% correct due to residual fluids inside of the engine/tranny/diff ect. Its best to fill 1/2 of specs and check the fluid level and slowly get it in the full range, may that range be achieved by it being level with the bolt hole or the dipstick full mark.

This makes me think of the SRT-4 guy that changed his oil by removing the oil filter and starting his car up, letting the oil come out of the pump. :lol:

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Overdrift wrote:you also have to realize even factory specs may not be 100% correct due to residual fluids inside of the engine/tranny/diff ect...
please explain how "service manual recommended" fluid levels will screw your toyota up. alex, you're nit-picking and splitting hairs where it's pointless.

just fill your tranny, diff through the fill holes until a thin steady stream of fluid starts to spill out. plug it, you're done.

unless you want to be the oil changing ubergeek this isn't rocket science everybody. :roll:

nt66

Post by nt66 »

dr.occa wrote:
please explain how "service manual recommended" fluid levels will screw your toyota up. alex, you're nit-picking and splitting hairs where it's pointless.

just fill your tranny, diff through the fill holes until a thin steady stream of fluid starts to spill out. plug it, you're done.

unless you want to be the oil changing ubergeek this isn't rocket science everybody. :roll:
yeah its not rocket science its auto science

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

nt66 wrote:yeah its not rocket science its auto science
will, auto and science aren't suppose to be used in the same sentence together. that's blasphemy heathen!