car turned off while driving, now won't start - typical, eh?

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

AznTKDmstr

car turned off while driving, now won't start - typical, eh?

Post by AznTKDmstr »

Ok, so this is what happened:

I was driving my car in 3rd gear, started to slow for a left turn and the engine turns off on me. I wondered why it got so quiet and I looked down and my RPM's were at 0. So, I pop the clutch to start the car up again. The car starts up again. I turn and I start going up a hill.

Halfway up this hill, my car turns off on me. I try to start it and it doesn't start. So, I flag a guy down to jump my car. Hook up the cables and it doesn't start.

So I tow the car home and let it set for a few months while I leave for the summer.

I come back and start trying to diagnose it. Try jumping it again and nothing. Dash lights come on, headlights come on. I hear one click when I try to start it and nothing else.

I open the plastic cover around the cam gears. I see that the timing belt is still there and doesn't look broken. (maybe I should take off the rest of the plastic and see if the belt is broken further towards the bottom?)

My battery is not even a year old. My starter is new (but autozone, maybe it failed?). Alternator, also has been replaced.

So, I figured...maybe it's the main engine relay? I replace it.

I try to jump the car, and same thing happens. Lights are all on, all I hear is one click.

Is it my starter? Or maybe it's my grounds?

I was wondering what else it could be? I have no idea where to start, I am horrible with electrical stuff.

Where are all the grounds I should check?

Anything at all would help! Thanks in advance!
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1974 Corolla Deluxe Sedan
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

my old corolla used to have a prob where the fuse is on the posititve cable. i would have to move that fuse around a bit till i heard a click then the car would start. when i would hit a bump just right the car would shut off.
[img]http://i9.tinypic.com/832gfm9.jpg[/img]
"Now their greatest enemy is chlamydia, a disease also found in humans. This disease is transmitted by sexual contact, and it has killed over three thousand koalas in the last year."

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

hm, i'll check that out tomorrow and see
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

if anything, it maybe time to replace the 20+ old positive battery cable to starter and accompanying fuses.

if even after that, than it could be your coil/igniter giving up the ghost or your distributor or both.

madcao

Post by madcao »

hey thaison, sounds like the solenoid in the starter is going out. -sang

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

my car would start then shut off too.... come to find out it was the ground under the distr.
JDM AE86/AE92

Projectgofast
Tourist

Post by Projectgofast »

Check your grounds, sounds like your starter isnt getting enough power or the solenoid is going bad but that wouldnt explain it cutting off, get a multimeter and check the resistance from your engine to your chassis should be zero or close to it if not check your grounds if they are all tight try adding some more grounds
And if you still cant figure it out I'm local and off the rest of the week just shoot me a pm we can have it running in no time

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

my ground came of at a drift event and it shut off so check the grounds and the starter
JDM AE86/AE92

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

listen for the fuel pump and check your pressure. also check your timing with a timing gun.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

AznTKDmstr

Post by AznTKDmstr »

thanks for all the input guys. i'm gonna start checking it out piece by piece...once this rain stops...
Thaison Nguyen
1986 Corolla GT-S
1983 Corolla Sedan
1987 Corolla GT-S
1984 Corolla SR5
1979 Corolla Liftback