weight reduction question

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Jorsh
Tourist

weight reduction question

Post by Jorsh »

Anyone with a stripped out 86 have any idea of how much weight is actually saved by stripping out the sound deadening material? I know that dynamat is quite heavy... and if there is actually paint underneath it. I'm just trying to get an idea od if its worth my time or not.

-Thanks

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

not sure the weight savings but there is paint underneath it....
JDM AE86/AE92

pecx
Zeus - Ultra Mega Admin

Post by pecx »

I would say sound deadening is about 10 kg. I took it out and it way too loud for me.

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

Same for what pecx said jut keep it in unless its a full track car and not a DD. Cause yea you see alot of cars with mufflers and they seem loud but...Wait till you remove that sound deadning and then put a exhaust on your car then you will see how loud it gets. Also not to mention that on cold days it gets really really cold and on HOt days vise versa. Well I will say total wait would be around 20 - 25 pounds.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

there has been some guys on c4ag that stripped the sound deadening and got it close to 2000lb. the material itself weighs about 25lb and if o you are at the track you can run with out your spare and all that other stuff as well. but i wouldnt recommend going with out a spare or jack on the streets
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

nt66

Post by nt66 »

just remove the sound deadening and put the carpet back in if your worried about sound
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com