I'm a noob and I want to drift... so click this.

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Reason for not going to event.

I'm a poser
No votes
I don't have a daily driver
No votes
I don't have a drift car
No votes
I am afraid of going into "Overdrift"
100%

Total votes: 3

Overdrift

I'm a noob and I want to drift... so click this.

Post by Overdrift »

I had to make another thread...

I want everyone to know this and read it if you have never gone to a competion before.

GO TO A COMPETION!

DRIFT!

LEARN!

Don't listen to people that say "Oh you need this and that to drift!".

Like a few of you I had alot of fun doing figure 8's , donuts, linking corners....but then I went to my first drift event. It was amazing... no fear of curbs...no fear of police.. no fear of breaking down. I went all out, and while the tires lasted... I had the best automotive experience of my life.

If you want to drift, get 100 bucks and go to a Daily Drifter event. Bring a spare set of tires and talk to fellow drifters. ALOT of people will help you if you just ask, stick to corolla folk though, they enjoy seeing fellow underdogs , aka 240 turbo kryptonite at work.

I can see the excuses....

"I don't have a drivers license" - dont need on on a race course.

"Its cold outside" - better for your car and not so freakin hot like most drift events... you'll find out soon enough.

"its a long drive" - find a better excuse, driving is fun!

"100 bucks is alot of money!" - go rake some leaves.. it pays fair.

"I cant find any tires for cheap" lmk what size, ill look around my area and my supply bin, you look around your local tire dump sites and discount/ntb/firestone's.

"A race helment is expensive"- go to a pawnshop, 40 bucks average price, buy some frebreez also for $3.

"i dont have a way to get my car there" - theres always a way. A relative, a friend. Make alot of friends at drift events... they come in handy.

"I'm a little girl" - sorry hvguy no cure yet.

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

i think most people on this board who post often have been to an event.... why are your posts always so angry?
JDM AE86/AE92

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

CBR_TOY wrote:i think most people on this board who post often have been to an event.... why are your posts always so angry?
I think alex might still be holding it against me that i supposedly didn't help him with something on his car. julio (former 86 owner) was able to making him a better man than me. i don't remember ever slighting you in that way but i'm sorry none-the-less if it actually did happen. it's a little hard on my schedule to be available for everyone with a job the best woman in the world by my side and 5 kiddos that are the best human beings on earth. it's a little difficult at times to break away from that world.

don't be mad anymore.

...oh yeah...just hijacked this thread with a box cutter in hand :D

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

so he's holding a grudge? wow.....
JDM AE86/AE92

Overdrift

Post by Overdrift »

Sorry I came off sounding so angry :twisted:

I just get a little bitchy when I read about doing this and that to your car to go drift. I've herd from now more than 10 people that say they can't go to an event because their car isn't ready with mods, I was one of them! I would just like to see future drifters go out there and try on a closed course with fellow drifters. The GymKhana event was awsome(even though my rwd drift car hasn't been bought yet and i didnt go) and I am very happy to see things like that.

Ah and Jonas, I don't hold that much of a grudge! Just a small one! Geez, all those kids and a wife... I don't know how you even made it to all these drift events! Now I know why you have that van LOL.

For the record, when you see someone downer debbie'ing someone about going to a drift event with a stock car, get mad! get angry!

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Overdrift wrote:Sorry I came off sounding so angry :twisted:

I just get a little bitchy when I read about doing this and that to your car to go drift. I've herd from now more than 10 people that say they can't go to an event because their car isn't ready with mods, I was one of them! I would just like to see future drifters go out there and try on a closed course with fellow drifters. The GymKhana event was awsome(even though my rwd drift car hasn't been bought yet and i didnt go) and I am very happy to see things like that.

Ah and Jonas, I don't hold that much of a grudge! Just a small one! Geez, all those kids and a wife... I don't know how you even made it to all these drift events! Now I know why you have that van LOL.

For the record, when you see someone downer debbie'ing someone about going to a drift event with a stock car, get mad! get angry!
no worries alex...

when people give their reasons for not going i just leave them to their decision. if they really want to, they'll come back around asking if johnny can come out and play. until then, i don't wanna coerce them. then it's just peer pressure rather than them sincerely wanting to go drifting.

it should stay fun from beginning to end. that's the way i see it.

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

there is no good reason for not going to an event other than money or a ride.

I went to the BIG MSR event with a stock SR5 with a 4ac and no suspension mods.

IT WAS KICK ASS!!!!

btw jonas, the block I got form you.... did it have blown bearings like its f*&ked or could it use new bearings and slap a...... 4ac.... uh, cough I meen a 4ag head on it?
[img]http://i37.tinypic.com/2m6keid.jpg[/img]

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

if your looking for tires. i know of a place where you can get falkens, dunlop, toyo, ect. 15inch for $10 a pop. some with about 60%+ tread on them. and a place next door to this place to have them mounted for $4 a pop. but only thing is its down in the depths of hells bellie itself. aka the rio grande valley. down by the boarder. one of the very few things i miss about the place i came from.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

landslideATX wrote:if your looking for tires. i know of a place where you can get falkens, dunlop, toyo, ect. 15inch for $10 a pop. some with about 60%+ tread on them. and a place next door to this place to have them mounted for $4 a pop. but only thing is its down in the depths of hells bellie itself. aka the rio grande valley. down by the boarder. one of the very few things i miss about the place i came from.
dang, that's too far for houstonians looking for cheap tires just to trash. thank you anyway for the suggestion.

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

yeah i know its far. i'm in austin. i pick up as many as fit in my corolla when i go down there when i have the money.