DIFFERENTIALS: "to weld or not to weld..."

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

or you could bring it on over the HVtuning and ill install a NSD "no slip differential" for a pretty penny =)

btw, just got done putting an OEM fan in the radiator, finishing the stitch welding, re-welding my seat mount, and installing the headlight nt66 stole from the last gymkhana gathering.
[img]http://i37.tinypic.com/2m6keid.jpg[/img]

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

projectredae86 wrote:well i have the lsd. i was just wondering what way it is. i drift just fine right now. the only prob i'm running into right now is no power and no grip on the front. thats why i hit the curb the last time. lol. i have two stock lsd's. one in the car right now and one sitting in my friends shop in my old rear end.
your lsd is somewhere around 25 years old it is going to be worn and even when ameen drifted mine the second time around it acted like an open diff for a few seconds, and its because that it has clutches in it its going to feel like your going to have to make it come out and lock it, with a welded its more instantly all the sl kids run welded diffs in their cars and have been alexes 240 the cressy amirs lexus is getting one etc.. just get yourself a welded diff thrown it in and if you get any understeer just rev the hell out of it lift up the clutch at sit back while the rear end just flies underneath you :) i know sometimes it can cause understeer but i mean its all just a matter of getting used to and knowing how your car will react. plus its a 25 year old corolla not ur dads new car it is good to be open minded and have that thought in your head that you can always go back and that is does not hurt to try something new dont be afraid to experiment in it and just have fun with it man.

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

if you have an lsd then rebuild it... just because "the sl kids" are using welded doesn't mean they are the best things to use.

welded is good for temporary use while saving up for a lsd. this is what i did and could not be happier with my 1 way lsd.
JDM AE86/AE92

nt66

Post by nt66 »

I remember I was hammering on a fence in the backyard when Dad approached. He was carrying a letter or something in his hand, and he looked worried. I continued to hammer as he came toward me. "Son," he said, "why are you hammering on that fence? It already has plenty of nails in it." "Oh, I'm not using nails," I replied. "I'm just hammering." With that, I returned to my hammering. Dad asked me to stop hammering, as he had some news. I did stop hammering, but first I got a couple more hammers in, and this seemed to make Dad mad. "I said, stop hammering!" he yelled. I think he felt bad for yelling at me, especially since it looked like he had bad news. "Look," he said, "you can hammer later, but first-" Well, I didn't even wait to hear the rest. As soon as I heard "You can hammer," that's what I started doing. Hammering away, happy as an old hammer dog. Dad tried to physically stop me from hammering by inserting a small log of some sort between my hammer and the fence. But I just kept on hammering, 'cause that's the way I am when I get that hammer going. Then, he just grabbed my arm and made me stop. "I'm afraid I have some news for you," he said. I swear, what I did next was not hammering. I was just letting the hammer swing lazily at arm's length, and maybe it tapped the fence once or twice, but that's all. That apparently didn't make any difference whatsoever to Dad, because he just grabbed my hammer out of my hand and flung it across the field. And when I saw my hammer flying helplessly through the air like that, I just couldn't take it. I burst out crying, I admit it. And I ran to the house, as fast as my legs could take me. "Son, come back!" yelled Dad. "What about your hammer?!" But I could not have cared less about hammering at that point. I ran into the house and flung myself onto my bed, pounding the bed with my fists. I pounded and pounded, until finally, behind me, I heard a voice. "As long as you're pounding, why not use this?" I turned, and it was Dad, holding a brand-new solid-gold hammer. I quickly wiped the tears from my eyes and ran to Dad's outstretched arms. But suddenly, he jumped out of the way, and I went sailing through the second-story window behind him. Whenever I hear about a kid getting in trouble with drugs, I like to tell him this story.
Last edited by nt66 on Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

nt66 wrote:yeah I would just like to say I have done very well with my stock 1 way and it hardly even works at this point. What im trying to say is if you have to have a welded to drift your doing somthing wrong. I got 4th place in a national competition against seasoned veterans and pro's the "sl kids" where at this comp but they didnt make the top 16 so apparently welded is not the awnswer. In my opinion it makes you a sloppy driver you wont ever learn the fine art of initiation like you will with a 1 way lsd but whatever floats your boat
=) its temporary, and I wanted to try it.

I'm waiting for some bills to rebuild my LSD, then ill swap it.

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

why did you get banned off of h240 orlando?
JDM AE86/AE92

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

CBR_TOY wrote:why did you get banned off of h240 orlando?

I asked ameen to delete my account so I could not log on, and if I wanted to later on, I could remake my account.

and a few days went by, so I told him to delete my account in the next day or ill leak info about 786..... if you know what im talking about.....

then like 2 days went by, and I sent an email saying JK dont close my account, then next thing I know i'm banned =)

I love making friends

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Overdrift wrote:...The welded helped the SR5 in low speed drifts, but it felt like it was losing some power on the long drifts, Ofcorse it made drifting easyer, "almost anybody can drift a welded diff" . Eventually when my sr5 gets its 4ag i will put it up against the 4ac welded with my open diff.
losing pwr on the long drifts...give me a break. you make yourself sound like a seasoned race car driver saying things like "almost anybody can drift..." with a welded diff. you completely forgot why the lsd came about to begin with...CONTROL. to facilitate the driver's job of controlling the car especially at its limits. a welded diff is tops over an open diff any day of the week.

you should share in your friend's joy instead of knocking it. that's what good friends do.

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

Overdrift

Post by Overdrift »

dr.occa wrote:
losing pwr on the long drifts...give me a break. you make yourself sound like a seasoned race car driver saying things like "almost anybody can drift..." with a welded diff. you completely forgot why the lsd came about to begin with...CONTROL. to facilitate the driver's job of controlling the car especially at its limits. a welded diff is tops over an open diff any day of the week.

you should share in your friend's joy instead of knocking it. that's what good friends do.

I'm a asshole that dislikes welded diffs what else can i say?

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

Overdrift wrote:
dr.occa wrote:

I'm a asshole that dislikes welded diffs what else can i say?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Overdrift wrote:...I'm a asshole that dislikes welded diffs what else can i say?
anyway, calling yourself an asshole doesn't let you off but that's between you and your friends you're an "asshole" to.

since this is in the technical section, not liking something as a policy isn't informative enough alex.

orlando experienced it first hand, and was pleasantly surprised (understatement here) at the difference.

glad for your new edge on the competition O.

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

dr.occa wrote: glad for your new edge on the competition O.