grinding sound

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Munki

Post by Munki »

Well, I know this thread is dead now... Just wanted to let you guys in on a few things that I found while taking out my tranny.

After jacking up the car I drain the fluids, and I go to the slave.. I notice there’s only one bolt, the other was broken inside of the tranny. So only one bolt was holding the slave onto the tranny. I didn't think much of that so I go to the trunk to disconnect the battery and I go to the starter and take that off. It was also held on by ONE bolt...

At this point im starting to get pissed off...

Next I disconnect the driveshaft and I notice that the bolts where so loose that I could use my hands only to take them off. The same happend the the tranny mount area. All those bolts where also loose. Next I go to the bellhousing and start taking off the bolts. On the bottom there are suppose to be about 4 14mm bolts. There was only ONE!!!!

And on the top there are suppose to be four 17mm bolts. The tranny only had 2... So, after I remove the tranny I take it apart to see if everything was ok. It turns out that the tranny is in EXCELENT condition!! So I bought a new tranny from a junk yard and replaced a few things inside of it for nothing!! Lol

So ill have a good condition t50 for sell pretty soon…. hahahahah

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

good deal.

yeah, it's actually not surprising that you were missing multiple bolts. but, glad to hear the tranny is ok.

now go get you some bolts :wink:

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

sounds like someone did a clutch job right before you got the car....

glad to hear your moving!!
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

Munki

Post by Munki »

mooreofit wrote:sounds like someone did a clutch job right before you got the car....

glad to hear your moving!!
Yep, it has a new aftermarket clutch...

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

what else you got done. any pics?
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

Munki

Post by Munki »

so far all i've done is take out the tranny, and clean it up alittle... right now im looking for a transmission jack, didnt think it would be this hard to put back in..

And this is my first time ever replacing a tranny... The most i've ever done was just basic maintenence type work. I'll upload the pics i took in a few hours.

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

well thats about as bad as it gets so everything else should be pretty easy in comparison.

so as far as the rest of your car goes stock? pizza cutters?

Munki

Post by Munki »

nope, lol... It has alot done to it.

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

you got a build log here?

show me the money!

Munki

Post by Munki »

lol, i don't have a build log posted yet... But the previous owner did a few mods... The car currently has lots done to the suspension and brakes and the engine was rebuilt by toyota. Swapping out my trd springs with some coilovers next week.

Also got these bad boys on order along with lots of other goodies...
\/
Image[/code]

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Munki wrote:...
Image[/code]
oh nice.

they look almost like jenvey throtts.

they're coming all the way from aussie land huh?

Munki

Post by Munki »

yeah, im kinda new to the ae86 world so it was kinda hard deciding what setup to go with... I did have a experienced friend help me pick though. The main reason why im going with these ITB's is because not too many people have them. I'll be dumping lots of money in the 16v when I could just drop in a 20v and call it a day... lol

Munki

Post by Munki »

Here are a few pics from today...

Here’s a pic of the engine when it got separated from its buddy. :cry:

rear-end of tranny getting cleaned

old one on the left, new one on the right. the one on the right only had 69k miles.

And after removing the trowout bearing i notice lots of rust on it... I called my friend over and he said he's never seen one come out of a tranny like that..

When I was under the car I noticed that the tied rods and ALL of the bushings under the car where blown to hell. The u-joint on the driveshaft was also damaged some how...

i'll post the rest of the pics when my camera battery is finished charging...

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

nice itb's!!!!

i'm jealous, the car looks great from what i can see!

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

the throw out bearing doesn't look that bad. i've come across way worse.

you could have kept the transfer case on the gearbox if you were going to just clean it. but the trans looks quite clean. good job on that.

oh, and what is that silver, metal dragon's neck looking thing coming from the distributor area to the front of the bay?
Munki wrote: Image