grinding sound

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Munki

grinding sound

Post by Munki »

Everytime I push down on the clutch pedal and put it in gear it starts making this loud grinding noise... Even if I put it back into neutral it still grinds until about 5 sec after i let off the clutch pedal..

anyone know whats wrong with the clutch? Lol

Munki

Post by Munki »

o yeah, forgot to mention that it goes into gear perfect. All im getting is a nasty noise comming from the tranny... Could it be the release bearing going bad??

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

it could be the throw out bearing but it sounds to me like an input shaft bearings as it still makes the noise in nuetral for a few seconds.(input shaft nuetraling to a stop)
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

ManilaGorilla

Re: grinding sound

Post by ManilaGorilla »

Munki wrote:Everytime I push down on the clutch pedal and put it in gear it starts making this loud grinding noise... Even if I put it back into neutral it still grinds until about 5 sec after i let off the clutch pedal..

anyone know whats wrong with the clutch? Lol
sounds like gears, could be that your clutch insnt disengaging... how's the peddle feel? and do you have plenty of clutch fluid? if not i would bleed it but first replace the clutch master and slave cylinder.

Munki

Post by Munki »

I never thought about the slave and master... I'll go ahead and replace those since they're cheap... And I had this problem before, but it went away. Either way I just bought a extremly low milage tranny today. so i'll be swapping them out when it cools down outside.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

usually if it makes noise when you push the clutch in its the throw out bearing and if it makes noise when the clutch is out in neutral its the input bearing
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

all the experience ive had with failing thow outs make most noise with your foot off the pedal.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

mbehrens

Post by mbehrens »

actully does the pitch of the noise change as you push yiour foot on or off the clutch pedel. while the motor is running mind you lol..haha... thats the correct way to diagnose a throw out bearing ... the pitch of the sound with change. as you engage and disengage. please dont replace the master and slave untill you are sure if you want to know if the slave is bad does it leak do you have a spoongy pedal ... a way to check the slave is to pull the boot back on the slave and if it leaks fluid from inside the boot the cylder seal went dead and you need to replace the slave.. but yeah dont replace the master slave and the slave cylinder. just because its cheap dosnt mean you throw money at it. check for the sound ... also is the grinding sound rythmatic with the engine rpms. other words does when you rev the motor does the grinding noise go with rpms or stay the same is there grinding noise with engine rpm .. check wile in nuetrual engine running. if grinding noise is with engine rpm think about pilot bearing .. i think there is one on these motors ... i dont remember if i had one in mine or not or remember replacing one . but i might of its been a while. anyways i hope you read this and actually understand what i typed. and hopefully i helped you to make a proper diagnostic on your car... after all the way to save money is to not spend money not needing to be spent. unless you want everything new then thats cool to ... thats what i like to do is to replace all the old crap with new so i know it will last as long as i own it lol....
a 86 is an 86 no mater.

Munki

Post by Munki »

mbehrens wrote:actully does the pitch of the noise change as you push yiour foot on or off the clutch pedel. while the motor is running mind you lol..haha... thats the correct way to diagnose a throw out bearing ... the pitch of the sound with change. as you engage and disengage. please dont replace the master and slave untill you are sure if you want to know if the slave is bad does it leak do you have a spoongy pedal ... a way to check the slave is to pull the boot back on the slave and if it leaks fluid from inside the boot the cylder seal went dead and you need to replace the slave.. but yeah dont replace the master slave and the slave cylinder. just because its cheap dosnt mean you throw money at it. check for the sound ... also is the grinding sound rythmatic with the engine rpms. other words does when you rev the motor does the grinding noise go with rpms or stay the same is there grinding noise with engine rpm .. check wile in nuetrual engine running. if grinding noise is with engine rpm think about pilot bearing .. i think there is one on these motors ... i dont remember if i had one in mine or not or remember replacing one . but i might of its been a while. anyways i hope you read this and actually understand what i typed. and hopefully i helped you to make a proper diagnostic on your car... after all the way to save money is to not spend money not needing to be spent. unless you want everything new then thats cool to ... thats what i like to do is to replace all the old crap with new so i know it will last as long as i own it lol....

The pitch doesn't change at all and the clutch pedal doesn't feel spongy...

If I hold down the clutch and put it in 1st gear it starts making that loud ass noise and if I keep my foot on the clutch and put it in nuetral you can still hear it. It goes away after I take my foot off the clutch. I don't think i've the grinding in any other gear besides 3rd - 5th...

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

when you have the car in gear and you push the clutch in does it still make the noise.

the input shaft bearings will be louder when its in nuetral and the cars running and you let off and on the clutch and you can hear the input shaft roll to a stop. if its in gear it should be loaded to the output shaft and wont make as bad of a rattling noise. only trying to help, hope you can figure it out.

Munki

Post by Munki »

uhmmm.... ill try to make a vid tonight for you guys.. :?

Munki

Post by Munki »

just check the car again. It the sound does get higher pitched when I let off the clutch when its in gear. So, im guessing its the throw-out bearing? Also, when I started up the car it was in Nuetral and it started grinding before I even put it into the gear. So it does grind even if i dont go into gear.

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

if the noise changes pitch when its loaded in gear and not nuetral the problems probably in the tranny.

mbehrens

Post by mbehrens »

mooreofit wrote:if the noise changes pitch when its loaded in gear and not nuetral the problems probably in the tranny.
well Munki sense you the clutch is not spongy and you dont hear a pitch change engaging and disengaging ... then i agree with mooreofit. sounds like your input bearing is tired of working lol...but at least you didnt replace the master and the slave and end up wasting money and getting fustrated because it wouldnt fix the issue lol... i hope best wish's for your car. and hope you get it fix lol... again i agree with mooreofit.
a 86 is an 86 no mater.

Munki

Post by Munki »

Alright, the grinding/whining sound completly went away again.... Now im starting to think its just something like the clutch master or slave cylinder. Maybe they're getting too hot and locking up or something like that.

This got me thinking about the first time this happend. It was about 104 degrees outside and I took a 3 hour trip and it started grinding on the way home. A week later it goes away.

A few weeks ago Im on the touge driving hard and it comes back. Also, my exhaust got diconnected right by the tranny.. Went away again a few days ago...