Help make my car run pleaseeeee.....

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

sexaybeast87
Tourist

Help make my car run pleaseeeee.....

Post by sexaybeast87 »

Hey guys,

So I bought my 86 corolla gts last month and it wasn't running. The car turns but doesn't start. I took off the distributor cap and realized that the rotor wasn't turning. This lead me to find a broken timing belt.

YAY, I found the problem....or so I thought. I replaced the timing belt the other day and did my best lining up all the guides from the crankshaft and the cam gears. I followed these directions I found:

http://www.aeu86.org/index/engine-timin ... post=60891

The car still turns but refuses to start.

Did I do something wrong? I probably tried realigning the belt like 3 times already...GRRRR Could it be something else?

Well, I really wanted this car to be up and running before July 4th and if any corolla experts in the Houston area wants to give me a hand please call or text 832-275-2336. I live in NW Houston off of 290. Thanks!

pecx
Zeus - Ultra Mega Admin

Post by pecx »

Did you check the spark/fuel?

nt66

Post by nt66 »

sounds like the timing is off check it again and make sure the cams a distributor are at the right place when the motor is at tdc
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

MadeInThe80s

Post by MadeInThe80s »

Like pecx said check fuel/spark, just because its turning over doesnt mean its gonna start.
86 GTS 4AGTE

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

while your cranking it just pull a plug and check for spark and while its cranking (watch your face) smell the compressed air comming out the spark plug hole if it reeks like gas you are getting it.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

sexaybeast87
Tourist

Post by sexaybeast87 »

Yeah, I checked the spark plugs and I am getting fuel as well as spark

I will try the timing belt adjustment again......

Does anyone know the correct position of the distributor during tdc? The rotor is supposed to be pointing at the 1 position on the dist. cap right?

If anyone who's done a timing belt change before can help me out, that would be great, is anyone free before july 4th?

pecx
Zeus - Ultra Mega Admin

Post by pecx »

set TDC
1. Turn the crank to mark (check the mark on crank gear, piston1 at highest position,remove the spark plug and put long screwdriver into the hole and turn the crank to find TDC)
2. Checl mark on both cam gear
3. Turn the crank 1 or 2 round and see if cam gear and crank turn back to mark if not reinstall the timing belt
4. set TDC again
5. remove dizzy cap make sure it point to number 1
6. check that number 1 wire to cylinder 1 and other number
7. If gas is old drain old gas out , fill up new gas, make it easy to start change fuel filter
8. Advance the dizzy little bit.
9. Start the engine
10. If it run wait till it warm grab timing light and adjust timing

if it not start redo step 8.

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=8286 this might help look at number 11

nt66

Post by nt66 »

just fyi if the distributor is one tooth off it will not start
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

sexaybeast87
Tourist

CAR RUNS NOW....FINALLY!!!!

Post by sexaybeast87 »

So thanks to the help of Dr. Occa aka Jonas, my car finally started up!!

The doctor stopped by, diagnosed my car, and cured it instantly! It turned out to be a combination of the timing as well as one of the ignition fuses being burnt out......ugh, pisses me off so much because I swore I checked all the fuses last month...but I guess one slipped by me...I'm such a noob

Well hearing your project car run for the first time is a great feeling and I'm sure everyone has had that experience :)

Here's a pic of my bruised pinky toe cuz a rachet fell on it...note to self: wear shoes when working on the car (hope I didn't turn on too many ppl with this picture....foot fetttisshhhh :lol:)

Here's a video of the car actually starting up...YESSSS, this is only the beginning...next task....paint job!

Thanks everyone for your input and a million thanks to Jonas!!

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

glad i could help.

lol at your foot pic! the disturbing thing was that i heard when the ratchet actually HIT your pinky toe. it was a dead thud then a clank onto the ground. ouch!

H8S
Tourist

Post by H8S »

:lol: :lol: :lol: JONAS HAD A TOE THAT LOOKED LIKE THAT AFTER ONE OF MY RAMPS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

H8S wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: JONAS HAD A TOE THAT LOOKED LIKE THAT AFTER ONE OF MY RAMPS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
no dude, it was worse! remember, i pulled my shoe off and there was blood on my sock at the tip of my big toe! man, i napalmed my neighborhood that night with a flurry of f-bombs when that happened!

when i looked down i saw a road under my feet leading to hell that night... :shock:

;)