JDM cars

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

inertia

JDM cars

Post by inertia »

how do you buy and have it legal ?there are places like
http://www.japan-partner.com/company-profile.php
that sell you the car but what if you wanna registor how do some one like me get to do that i just been thinking for some time ow and just asking for your opinon ?

JDM AE86

Post by JDM AE86 »

Those prices are pretty high on the link you put. Here is the one I have bought stuff from. There pretty good ppl. Email them and you will prob have a reply within 24 hours if its a work day. Good thing with them there just down the road at the border USA/Canada.

http://www.jdmtigerjapanese.com/

pecx
Zeus - Ultra Mega Admin

Post by pecx »

Any cars is older than 25 year can be imported and registered. From what I heard shipping to long beach is like $1500 paper work is another $500.

But importing car that less than 25 year old is hard because they won't let the complete car in. It good idea to buy those cars which already in the US or you have to cut the top and import it as part or smuggling in the whole car in. Lets say somebody can legalize the skyline R33 cost about $2500-$3000 and still have good chance to get busted.

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

What about Canadian cars...? Will it also be hard to get in the states, and legalize them...?

pecx
Zeus - Ultra Mega Admin

Post by pecx »

What car? If that car is Canadian registered the owner can drive cross the border for some period of time.
It the car that matter if it doesnt build to meet US standard that the problem.

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

pecx wrote:What car? If that car is Canadian registered the owner can drive cross the border for some period of time.
It the car that matter if it doesnt build to meet US standard that the problem.
well i met a guy from Quebec he said that there were a lot of jmd cars up there... that's why i was asking if it were easier to register them here than actually shipping one from overseas.... but i guess it must be the deal for a Canadian car as to a Nippon one......

pecx
Zeus - Ultra Mega Admin

Post by pecx »

Canada rule is allow 15 year olds car. USA is 25 year olds. ^_^

poptart3191
Tourist

Post by poptart3191 »

hmm the camry we have is an 01 and is a canadian car dash said kmh till i changed it till mph
yo mama

mbehrens

Post by mbehrens »

poptart3191 wrote:hmm the camry we have is an 01 and is a canadian car dash said kmh till i changed it till mph
thats because we are the only country to use mph i think i could be wrong like all the fords in canida read kmh lol... its kinda like how every one else uses meters in how tall some one is and we use feet lol... i cant rember the proper term for the messurments lol... so sorry if i sound dumb yall ...

but for some of the reasons why the US has some problems with skylines and ext are the crash ratings ... and horse power lol.. which is dumb do to that corrvette can have a 550 hp car but all the jap cars have to under like 300 thats so stupid lol...but again i could be talking out my ass lol...
a 86 is an 86 no mater.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

mbehrens wrote:...but again i could be talking out my ass lol...
not necessarily. you may have some valid points and they may be related.
Last edited by dr.occa on Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

Yea one thing we all have to know about the U.S is that they care for saftey and when something they see/test and it comes out VERY VERY CLOSE to being safe they scrap it and start with the next one in line. So i see why alot of cars dont come to the U.S I mean have you looked at some of the crash test on youtube??? some cars that they do...the outcome is insane!!!!

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

also our emissions i believe are stricter.....
JDM AE86/AE92

mbehrens

Post by mbehrens »

CBR_TOY wrote:also our emissions i believe are stricter.....
that is also true i noticed my aw101 motor does not have places for a egr valve. .. i come from the bay area in cali. and man i used to pay a friend of mine a smog tester to run his mr2 and us my vin on my mr2 to smog my car. every two years lol.. but yes emisison is a pretty great deal in the us that japan dont use...haha..

for those who dont know what egr is.. ( exhaust gas recergulation) sorry i cant spell sound out and you see what i tryed to say lol.. sucks for horse power. but great for gas milage. all it does is take the exess gas fuems that didnt burn from the exhaust and route it to the intake also makes the car burn in a leaner condition do to the carban dioxide fumes lol... i think i raped that up in a easy understanding of words lol...
a 86 is an 86 no mater.