need help

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

ga_goosh
VIP Member

need help

Post by ga_goosh »

my car starts and idles fine but when i give it some throttle it bogs and dies i have checked the timing and the idle air and cant get it to rev any ideas on what it can be thanks
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

joel26
VIP Member

Post by joel26 »

maybe the tps sensor..?

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

afm or tps...
JDM AE86/AE92

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

i started to suspect something like that but when i started it before that it was working and reving fine. i turned it off to put a seat in it and then it started to do this. ill prolly replace them just in case. also i had it timed with the jumper in at 10 deg when i started it the second time the timing marks were at about 25 deg way off and it was jumping around a bit
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

does this happen after first start or only after the car has warmed up or it doesn't matter?

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

dr.occa wrote:does this happen after first start or only after the car has warmed up or it doesn't matter?
well it happened the second time i started it. the engine was not cold but it wasnt operating temp

the first time i started it i had to set timing and set the idle. i got all of that dialed in but seemed to change after i cut it off.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

w/o jumpering it, start it up and check timing. sounds like you'll have to reset timing again.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

dr.occa wrote:w/o jumpering it, start it up and check timing. sounds like you'll have to reset timing again.
i had to change timing to get it to start then put it back but it wasnt runing right unless the timing mark was at the top of the pulley. i suspect i might have a wrong pulley so i just bought one to replace it.

im going to check the afm since that is easier then tps. the black cap of my afm is coming off i should prolly get a better one.

if some one wants to come to mi casa and give me a hand i wont mind lol.
iv been trying to get this car going properly for about 2 years now and every time it seems to point me in a different direction :x
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

i checked my afm and it is in spec. i checked my tps and i am going to try to adjust it if i cant get it back to spec i may need to get a new one.
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

mooreofit
VIP Member

Post by mooreofit »

might be your fuel pump. have you replaced your filter lately.

theses are symptoms of standard pressure but not enough volume amoung other things it could possibly be.
[img]http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn17/mooreofalan/attachment-2-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

mooreofit wrote:might be your fuel pump. have you replaced your filter lately.

theses are symptoms of standard pressure but not enough volume amoung other things it could possibly be.
no i havent replaced my pump but my filter is new the pump works tho
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

i tested my TPS sensor when i use a .014 feeler gauge on the throttle stop it ohms out to 2660 ohms when it is supposed to read 2300 or less ohms. hopefully this is my problem
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM