need to get my bearings straight...

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

landslideATX
VIP Member

need to get my bearings straight...

Post by landslideATX »

so i got the front sets. now as far as the rear i have found that they run for $100+ thats per. now the front i know takes 2 per side. what about the rear? is it 2 per side as well or just one? also, any suggestions on what bearings to go with? i need to put in the welded diff i got from dr.occa so i figured i would do the bearings as well while i'm at it.

thanks,
daniel
[img]http://i9.tinypic.com/832gfm9.jpg[/img]
"Now their greatest enemy is chlamydia, a disease also found in humans. This disease is transmitted by sexual contact, and it has killed over three thousand koalas in the last year."

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Re: need to get my bearings straight...

Post by dr.occa »

landslideATX wrote:so i got the front sets. now as far as the rear i have found that they run for $100+ thats per. now the front i know takes 2 per side. what about the rear? is it 2 per side as well or just one? also, any suggestions on what bearings to go with? i need to put in the welded diff i got from dr.occa so i figured i would do the bearings as well while i'm at it.

thanks,
daniel
only 1 bearing per axle in the rear. don't worry about the rear bearings unless you're getting a great deal of noise.

also, if you plan on installing that welded diff, using a punch, mark the side bearing adjustment seats and COUNT how many turns out on each side so you can get the everything close to where it was originally lined up w/ your previous diff.

i really doubt you'll have enough time to put the welded diff installed in time for this coming weekend. it's up to you but if i may be so bold as to suggest waiting 'til after the meet and scion expo.

setting up a diff (e.g. backlash, preload and ring and pinion alignment) is not easy.

when you're ready to get rear bearings, pick 'em up from 88rotors on club4ag here. they have the best deal on a pair regularly.

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

thanks, so as far as the diff. its not just a rent a slide hammer pull her apart slap her together and fill her up and go kinda deal huh? glad you told me that before andi went and pulled her apart slapped her back together wrong. lol.
"Now their greatest enemy is chlamydia, a disease also found in humans. This disease is transmitted by sexual contact, and it has killed over three thousand koalas in the last year."

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

now i'm going to be getting the 4links as well. do you know how to set them or know of anywhere i can get the info to read up on as far as setting them up and adj them to put the pitch of the third member back to where it needs to be?

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

just put the adj. 4 links next to the stock ones and set them to the same lengths from mounting center to mounting center.

then install them a pair at a time e.g. do the upper or lower links first DON'T REMOVE ALL THE LINKS AT ONCE.

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

dr.occa wrote:just put the adj. 4 links next to the stock ones and set them to the same lengths from mounting center to mounting center.

then install them a pair at a time e.g. do the upper or lower links first DON'T REMOVE ALL THE LINKS AT ONCE.
thats what i did with the old car. i thought i had to adj the pinion angle on the third member to keep from messing up the u joints and so forth.

ga_goosh
VIP Member

Post by ga_goosh »

yes you will need to set the pinion angle but it makes it a bit easyer to start from stock. that way you can keep your wheel base stock
I <3 my AE86

4AG Manual
AE86 FSM