AE86 short strokes on a budget

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

AE86 short strokes on a budget

Post by dr.occa »

well, eric (aka erickz300) came over one weekend while i was doing some work on the 86 and he got to asking me about the short stroke conversion for the front. he said his T3 shock spacers had just arrived. since he conveniently lived just around the corner he went back, got the collar and spacers and brought them back to my place and here's what we came up with.

parts needed:

x1 pair of Techno Toy Tuning spacers
x2 uncut stock front strut casings
x2 inexpensive coilover collars for a fwd corolla
x1 1.75"-2" i.d. aluminum exhaust piping (dirt cheap at any auto parts store or scrap pieces from your favorite muffler shop)

springs: buy springs that are 2.5" I.D. but no longer than 7"-9". you'll actually be able to apply preload. with 9" long springs, you may still have another 1"-1.5" drop left on your collars. with the 7" long springs you'll definitely have 2" to 3" drop room left on top of the 1"-2" drop you'll get just from the AGX sw20 shock inserts.

with an angle grinder and metal cut off wheel, chop off the factory perch skirt and clean it up BUT DON'T GRIND DOWN THE WELD THAT KEPT THE SKIRT ATTACHED TO THE STRUT HOUSING. THAT WILL BE YOUR PERCH!

the collar should be quite snug. if it sticks, the strut housing may be a bit dirty. clean it up. if it's still really really tight and won't let the collar slide on without breaking a sweat then with your grinder (NOT THE CUT OFF WHEEL! PUT A GRINDING WHEEL ON.) touch the collar up a bit at the top. that area may be a bit bulged due to the threading on the inside for the gland nut. JUST LIGHTLY grind the area down a little. keep test fitting until the collar just slides right over.

after wards, cut an appropriate length from the exhaust piping your acquired to act as a spacer between the top of the collar and the top of the T3 gland nut/spacer. this way, you don't have to tack weld above the collar and risk burning the gland nut threads on the inside of the housing. look:

voila!

less cutting and chopping.
Last edited by dr.occa on Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

nice... no welding involved. sounds like a perfect budget setup

and way to go on ordering those spacers eric
JDM AE86/AE92

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

I love the work you did! But i would of rough randed the strust casing just like 3 min and sprayed it with a bad ass pink or some color of choice and then put it on and BAM you got yourself a JDM one of a kind coilover. LOL jk BUt it looks good.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

DjSpecter wrote:I love the work you did! But i would of rough randed the strust casing just like 3 min and sprayed it with a bad ass pink or some color of choice and then put it on and BAM you got yourself a JDM one of a kind coilover. LOL jk BUt it looks good.
threw this together in 30 minutes just as an instructable. we used a spare strut casing i had laying around.

erickz300

Post by erickz300 »

For 30 minutes of work, i must say the results were better than i expected. the whole process (including paint) should only take a couple of hours. best part is no cutting or welding. hope this diy news flash helps. thanks dr. occa

inertia

Post by inertia »

looks better and a whole lot easyer that cut and weld ,and put some adjustables shock and the you go tein , greddy whatever you wanna call it.
Im not a DK so i would never buy greddy or tein i'd i had thought about meagn but thats just cuz the price but this sounds like you best bang for your buck unless your sponsered.

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

I mean dont get me wrong I love it but just could of took just alittle more time (5 to 10) Min to dress it up alittle you know.. But I like then and let us know how it turns out. Oh and alos I think paying over 1000 for some coilovers as well is way tooooooo much. thats why I got mine from Hopupracing.com and its free shipping and no sales tax!!! So the final price you pay is in red. Its hard to belive but its the truth. http://hopupracing.com/meracodakist15.html

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

DjSpecter wrote:I mean dont get me wrong I love it but just could of took just alittle more time (5 to 10) Min to dress it up alittle you know.. But I like then and let us know how it turns out. Oh and alos I think paying over 1000 for some coilovers as well is way tooooooo much. thats why I got mine from Hopupracing.com and its free shipping and no sales tax!!! So the final price you pay is in red. Its hard to belive but its the truth. http://hopupracing.com/meracodakist15.html
not harping and not butt hurt here but Dj you're NOT understanding the point of this thread. it was a simple how to.

a lot of people want to know how to get to the court house. i give them straight simple directions that gets them there with time to spare. i leave out all the flourishes so i don't eat up any of their time getting there. what music they listen to, how slow, how fast, where they stop on the way, etc...is completely up to them.

make sense.

just being succinct as how all "How To"s should be.

suuuuuh-sink-tuh
Last edited by dr.occa on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DjSpecter

Post by DjSpecter »

Oh ok I get it. lol Yea I know what you mean. But like I said looks good. And I always wanted to know where those spacers go. lol I never understood them.