t
ARTURO ROMERO
TEAM INERTIA
DRIFT MORE TEXAS
http://www.myspace.com/art_d_f_i_20

mandm177

Re: Caliper Brackets...

Post by mandm177 »

so, just drove back from aarons place. car feels great, brakes feel great, but i really cant test them out yet. it was raining on the way home, so i gotta wait till it dries up.

All in all, it took about an hour to R&R the brakes. took off the stock calipers, hub/rotor and backing plate, switched out the rotors, installed the adapter, then put on the rotor/hub, calipers, pads, etc. Easy as pie! we then bled the brakes and that was pretty much it.

My "stock" setup was with stainless lines, slotted and drilled rotors, pbr (i think) pads. its the setup you get from 88rotors on club4ag.com (except for the lines).

The first thing you notice is how the pedal feels. doesnt feel mushy and it feels real firm. the brakes engage alot sooner (before they'd engage a little bit before 1/2 way), and they just feel more confident. i did some stop and go traffic in the rain on the highway, and the brakes couldnt have felt better. i do plan to auto-x this season (need to get some things ironed out first), and im real curious to see how they react to late braking, as well as how they hold up to fading and such. i think a concern with skeptics out there is the proportioning and how that will affect the car. well, we shall see when i stab the brakes going into a turn. even if the rears lock up im hoping that that could be easily controlled and used to my benefit.

final opinion as of this rainy day. excellent buy if youre in the market for bigger brakes. An advantage over aftermarket big brake kits (wilwood, etc) is that you cant buy replacement parts from the autozone down the street, but with this, parts are readily available (new/rebuilt). and even if you dont use them, they look great! They look like the green thing in this picture...BUT THEY'RE REAL!!!

mooreofmick

Post by mooreofmick »

nice work arron
:D

MadeInThe80s

Post by MadeInThe80s »

Props to the OP! Looks great and from what Ive heard its performing great too. I need to get some seat time to see for myself. Im not a huge fan of the stock GTS pedal feel.
86 GTS 4AGTE

joshiroku
Tourist

Post by joshiroku »

hey aaron im looking forward to testing your setup at the track this year, ill be using carbotech pads and some super sticky nt01's
with the added speeds now capable with the 1uz i need more than the stock brake system has to offer and commend you on a budget setup

Chris-pee
Tourist

Post by Chris-pee »

wow, that turned out really good. Im surprised if Aaron's hands touched it it actually works! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

Chris-pee wrote:wow, that turned out really good. Im surprised if Aaron's hands touched it it actually works! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well thankfully, he didnt do much! :lol:

well, i think he did enough just cutting the brackets and such, and i was more than able to put them on...i did need help putting the adapter on the spindle though..

Me: looking awkardly back and forth at the adapter and spindle and trying to put it on
Aaron: nope, turn it around
Me: flips it upside down
Aaron: nope, other way
Me: Flips it again, and stares
Aaron: damnit fool! *puts the adapter on while i put the bolts in*

i think that was on both sides too! haha.

HondaRue

Post by HondaRue »

Chris-pee wrote:wow, that turned out really good. Im surprised if Aaron's hands touched it it actually works! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I wasn't working on my car so everything worked perfectly.
mandm177 wrote: Me: looking awkardly back and forth at the adapter and spindle and trying to put it on
Aaron: nope, turn it around
Me: flips it upside down
Aaron: nope, other way
Me: Flips it again, and stares
Aaron: damnit fool! *puts the adapter on while i put the bolts in*

i think that was on both sides too! haha.
I believe it was too...
85 Hatch SR5 => GTS High Comp Levin!!!
84 Coupe SR5 => GTS JDM MAP 16V (My Wife's car!)

Chris-pee
Tourist

Post by Chris-pee »

Aaron tells me there has been some question on what rotors I can get, this is what is avaliable to me.
all prices are each

Brembo (plain, un-slotted) 34 11 1 502 891 Front Brake Disc

$46.47 each

Zimmermann (plain, un-slotted) 34 11 1 502 891 A Front Brake Disc

$48.40

Ate (plain, un-slotted) 34 11 1 502 891 ATE Front Brake Disc

$46.65

Zimmermann Sport (cross drilled) 34 11 1 502 891 SP Front Brake Disc

$85.12

OPparts (un-slotted ) 405 06 016 Front Brake Disc

$18.11 (cheapies)

gda03subaru

Post by gda03subaru »

the sickness is incurable isnt it aaron?
03' Wrx
86 ae86

HondaRue

Post by HondaRue »

Oh........ and how is your car coming along.... oh wait..... it's not

mandm177

Post by mandm177 »

Well, after a few days of nice, dry weather, all i can say is WOW. pedal is nice and firm, and it stops on a dime! again, no track testing as of yet (that'll come in a few months), but overall for the price, i think this is one of the best mods to my car so far (its not all about going fast!). cant thank aaron enough for his time building the brackets, sourcing all the parts, and especially for helping me install the brake kit.

We will be going down to Houston this weekend for the big get together, and i'll let Aaron drive my car a bit in the dry so he can make his own impressions of this kit.

buy his kit so he can get his rola running again!

MadeInThe80s

Post by MadeInThe80s »

HondaRue wrote:
Oh........ and how is your car coming along.... oh wait..... it's not

LOL, hows your AE86 treating you these days? Oh thats right, it sounds like a Diesel so your driving the ranger.

:P
86 GTS 4AGTE

HondaRue

Post by HondaRue »

MadeInThe80s wrote:LOL, hows your AE86 treating you these days? Oh thats right, it sounds like a Diesel so your driving the ranger.

Nope... the knocking motor is out sooooooooooooo............... unless you're comparing it to a diesel with the motor shut off.

MadeInThe80s

Post by MadeInThe80s »

HondaRue wrote:
MadeInThe80s wrote:LOL, hows your AE86 treating you these days? Oh thats right, it sounds like a Diesel so your driving the ranger.

Nope... the knocking motor is out sooooooooooooo............... unless you're comparing it to a diesel with the motor shut off.
Lets just hope that dream last night doesnt come true for me lol.

Bump for awesome brakes.
86 GTS 4AGTE