clutch master cylinder

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

i did crawl back there. its not leaking. its blown. i tried crawlling back there and can't get to it. its a bitch and a 1/3
[img]http://i9.tinypic.com/832gfm9.jpg[/img]
"Now their greatest enemy is chlamydia, a disease also found in humans. This disease is transmitted by sexual contact, and it has killed over three thousand koalas in the last year."

nt66

Post by nt66 »

yeah i didnt have to take the dash off what are you guys talking about
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

nasser said i had to take the dash off. i'm just looking for an easyer way to swap it out.
"Now their greatest enemy is chlamydia, a disease also found in humans. This disease is transmitted by sexual contact, and it has killed over three thousand koalas in the last year."

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

sorry if i was wrong i did not think their was another way to do it because i tried for like an hour not taking off the dash and then gave up. :(

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

projectredae86 wrote:sorry if i was wrong i did not think their was another way to do it because i tried for like an hour not taking off the dash and then gave up. :(
you shouldn't have to take out the dash to do this.

will, you don't really have a dash!

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

i know even though the bottom half of my dash is gone theirs these 2 metal bars or something like right in front of it and i can get a hold of the bolt with a socket wrench or freaking anything, i think the 2 bars are coming from behind the steering column.

nt66

Post by nt66 »

dr.occa wrote:
projectredae86 wrote:sorry if i was wrong i did not think their was another way to do it because i tried for like an hour not taking off the dash and then gave up. :(
you shouldn't have to take out the dash to do this.

will, you don't really have a dash!
I changed the master before I gutted it
http://www.facebook.com/willparsonsracing
www.willparsonsdrift.com

Overdrift

Post by Overdrift »

I unbolted the first bolt inside the engine bay for the slave cylinder (BE sure your using 6pt sockets on all of the rusty pos bolts they are on there tight toyota tuff).

I can't remember if you have to because I beleive I did this to get to the bolt under the hood easyer and to help under the dash.

Unbolt the brake booster, 4 bolts and then unbolt the steering colum support (I think you have to unbolt it to get to one of the last boost bolts)

Then you should be able to get to the bolt. I remember it gave me further more trouble, I ended up unbolting the clutch petal assembly but I don't think thats necessary. BE absolutly sure that when you unclip the pin and linkage from the clutch master cylinder arm from the petal that you save all of the plastic inserts and washers ect.

I then matched the old with the new and measured to double check the lever coming out of the clutch mastercylinder was the same length as the new one, they can be adjusted.

Heres a few pictures of my nasty clutch master cylinder job.

I went with a new slave as well

This shows the brake booster unbolted in this picture

This shows the nuts I took off to lower the colum (I believe this was so I could get the master cylinder boost bolt off

I can't remember but I think you have to take the booster off to get it off the stud thats in the firewall, I might be wrong though.

Sure does look like it in this picture.

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

thats slave cylinder worked for you? i got one that looked like that and it didn't want to fit. so i had to get one for an 85 celica gt-s and it fit. the part where the cable comes in wouldn't let me put it on due to hitting the trany. i have an sr5 trany i found out also.

Overdrift

Post by Overdrift »

landslideATX wrote:thats slave cylinder worked for you? i got one that looked like that and it didn't want to fit. so i had to get one for an 85 celica gt-s and it fit. the part where the cable comes in wouldn't let me put it on due to hitting the trany. i have an sr5 trany i found out also.

Yeah its a sr5 slave, it won't work on a gt-s I believe.

sr5= driver side
gt-s=passenger side

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

Overdrift wrote:
landslideATX wrote:thats slave cylinder worked for you? i got one that looked like that and it didn't want to fit. so i had to get one for an 85 celica gt-s and it fit. the part where the cable comes in wouldn't let me put it on due to hitting the trany. i have an sr5 trany i found out also.

sr5= driver side
gt-s=passenger side
really!? mine is on the passanger side, but on the side of the trany it said 85 sr5 in yellow. now my car is an 87 model but the motor is out of a first gen mr2, i don't know if that has anything to do with it.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

landslideATX wrote:
Overdrift wrote:

sr5= driver side
gt-s=passenger side
really!? mine is on the passanger side, but on the side of the trany it said 85 sr5 in yellow. now my car is an 87 model but the motor is out of a first gen mr2, i don't know if that has anything to do with it.
was it written in junkyard marker yellow? if so, whoever wrote it was totally wrong, unless it was an sr5 tranny mated to a GTS bell housing.

alex is write, the sr5 slave will not work on a gts and vice versa.

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

i think it might have been mated with a gt-s bell. it said it in yellow up by the shifter. but my slave was on the passanger side. cause i got the one for the sr5 cause they never have parts for the gt-s anywhere i go. and it looks like the one you have. but then it wouldn't go on. my friend has an 85 celica gt-s so we looked at his and it was the same size so we just picked that one up. it was like $1o compared to the $2o for the gt-s.

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

Overdrift wrote:I unbolted the first bolt inside the engine bay for the slave cylinder (BE sure your using 6pt sockets on all of the rusty pos bolts they are on there tight toyota tuff).

I can't remember if you have to because I beleive I did this to get to the bolt under the hood easyer and to help under the dash.

Unbolt the brake booster, 4 bolts and then unbolt the steering colum support (I think you have to unbolt it to get to one of the last boost bolts)

Then you should be able to get to the bolt. I remember it gave me further more trouble, I ended up unbolting the clutch petal assembly but I don't think thats necessary. BE absolutly sure that when you unclip the pin and linkage from the clutch master cylinder arm from the petal that you save all of the plastic inserts and washers ect.

I then matched the old with the new and measured to double check the lever coming out of the clutch mastercylinder was the same length as the new one, they can be adjusted.

Heres a few pictures of my nasty clutch master cylinder job.

I went with a new slave as well

This shows the brake booster unbolted in this picture

This shows the nuts I took off to lower the colum (I believe this was so I could get the master cylinder boost bolt off

I can't remember but I think you have to take the booster off to get it off the stud thats in the firewall, I might be wrong though.

Sure does look like it in this picture.
how did you use that clutch master cylinder? it has different bolts on it then mine?

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

use 2 nuts to take out the one bolt that is odd and then use a drill to make the hole a little bigger to fit the stud on the new master cylinder.

mine came the exact same way
JDM AE86/AE92