DIFFERENTIALS: "to weld or not to weld..."

General Technical Topics

Moderators: dr.occa, CBR_TOY

Overdrift

Post by Overdrift »

open diffs are stronger than you think. they have one flaw though, the pin that holds all the spider gears and other gears together (its a big pin) needs to be welded because its a pressed in fit, not bolted in. I broke 3 diffs because of that design, I've even broken axels due to wheel hop. I'm glad I've never had to deal with welded. If you mention a spool on the other hand... I will say thats your preference. You can persuade me, but welded is just a ricer move like cutting springs.

Spool is the same effect of a welded diff without all the damaging heat, weakened metals, extra bs. You still have a good chance of breaking an axel with a spool, but at least you wont have to worry about the rearend. I know theres people out there that drive with welded diffs out there and 2 ways, it just worries me the noobs that see the welded thread as a quick ticket to glory and then hit the streets waiting to cause an accident.

I really want to see a few welded diff corolla's to see how they do. Its just like someone told me "you don't need a welded diff to drift, if you do than it just means you don't know how to drift the right way".

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Overdrift wrote:....Its just like someone told me "you don't need a welded diff to drift, if you do than it just means you don't know how to drift the right way".
who ever said that obviously has a different definition of drifting. is this coming from a professional driver who has competed either in D1 or FD or both? because all of them never compete w/o some form of LSD (a welded diff qualifies as a form of LSD because it really LIMITS any slip of the diff to practically no slip).

even tsuchiya states that an LSD is essential for drifting. i think i'll take the advice of a professional race car driver on the level of tsuchiya over anyone elses 99% of the time. it's also common sense.

but if you or anyone else prefers open diff to any other form of LSD, by all means have at it. it's just dis-engenuous to try and portray open diff as the consummate drifter's choice of differential. it won't make a driver stand out up above other's in any shape or form or make them more of a man's man, grow more hair on their chest, increase penis size, etc...etc...because they stick to open diff. personally, i think it's just stubborness and pride that we're all guilty of that'll make us stay on a sinking ship just because someone else pointed out that we should get off the boat: "i'm not going to now because you told me to!" or "noone's going to tell me what to do even if it may make sense!"

i can only suggest to people, have a humble disposition and be teachable. you may get better sooner than you trying to be a "self made" man.

Overdrift

Post by Overdrift »

I feel a pro drive that has competed in D1 and FD is on a diffrent level of skill and technique. They know alot about their own car, now if you singled it out to say an ae86 D1/FD driver, that would be the person I'd be curious to hear their ideas and opinions.

dr.occa
Hades - Site Admin

Post by dr.occa »

Overdrift wrote:I feel a pro drive that has competed in D1 and FD is on a diffrent level of skill and technique. They know alot about their own car, now if you singled it out to say an ae86 D1/FD driver, that would be the person I'd be curious to hear their ideas and opinions.

stubborn to the end...oh well.

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

I welded mine, ill let you know how its goes

[img]http://i37.tinypic.com/2m6keid.jpg[/img]

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

FINALLY!
JDM AE86/AE92

hvguy

Post by hvguy »

CBR_TOY wrote:FINALLY!
=) did you fix that compression problem yet?
[img]http://i37.tinypic.com/2m6keid.jpg[/img]

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

what way lsd does the stock gts come with? i was told it was a 1.5 way. if so. should i even worry about welding or not welding my diff due to it not being full open? i really want a 2 way but dropping $8oo+ on it is kinds hard to do. as far as tires. as a drifter i don't think you should really be worring about tires. besides, i get 15" tires for $1o a pop. falken, dunlop, kumho, ect.
[img]http://i9.tinypic.com/832gfm9.jpg[/img]
"Now their greatest enemy is chlamydia, a disease also found in humans. This disease is transmitted by sexual contact, and it has killed over three thousand koalas in the last year."

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

you cant weld a lsd and your stock one is probably worn i would recommend just buying a open differential for like 40 bux and getting it welded and it will act like a kaaz except that the drift happens more instantly. also you would never have to rebuild it.

landslideATX
VIP Member

Post by landslideATX »

well i have the lsd. i was just wondering what way it is. i drift just fine right now. the only prob i'm running into right now is no power and no grip on the front. thats why i hit the curb the last time. lol. i have two stock lsd's. one in the car right now and one sitting in my friends shop in my old rear end.
[img]http://i9.tinypic.com/832gfm9.jpg[/img]
"Now their greatest enemy is chlamydia, a disease also found in humans. This disease is transmitted by sexual contact, and it has killed over three thousand koalas in the last year."

nt66

Post by nt66 »

its not really a 1.5 way more like just a 1 way because it only works on accel and a 1.5 way works somwhat on decel iirc

Overdrift

Post by Overdrift »

nt66 wrote:its not really a 1.5 way more like just a 1 way because it only works on accel and a 1.5 way works somwhat on decel iirc
Correct.

The welded helped the SR5 in low speed drifts, but it felt like it was losing some power on the long drifts, Ofcorse it made drifting easyer, "almost anybody can drift a welded diff" . Eventually when my sr5 gets its 4ag i will put it up against the 4ac welded with my open diff.

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

still on 2 cylinders...
JDM AE86/AE92

Nasser

Post by Nasser »

nt66 wrote:its not really a 1.5 way more like just a 1 way because it only works on accel and a 1.5 way works somwhat on decel iirc
1.5 lsd is only supposed to lock under accel 2 way locks on deccel and accel

CBR_TOY

Post by CBR_TOY »

1.5 locks up on accel and partially on decel hence the .5

2 way locks up under accel and decel hence the 2. kind of like accel=1 and decel=1

1+1=2
JDM AE86/AE92